must make a decision about knee - need help/input....please

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

deejane
Regular Member


Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 73
   Posted 7/17/2006 10:14 PM (GMT -7)   
I have an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday, the 19th of July.  I injured (rather reinjured) my knee on May 28.  We did x-rays, an MRI, we even waited until I had two addition Remicade infusions.  I'm still in pain and hurt when I walk.  So, Wednesday we have to make a decision on what to do.  Since I'm a teacher, school will be starting soon and I Supartz injections at regular intervals.  Supartz is replaceable joint fluid.I did this in my other knee to bide time until we could do that replacement.  It is paintful as the needles are HUGE!!!!!  Or, the doctor can operate on my knee and just clean it out.  That is a quick fix or so it seems.  My doctor has given me both options as rather equal choices.  And yes next summer, I will be getting a knee replacement.  I've already had 5 surgeries on this knee 3 scopes, 1 surgery to reconstruct it (called a high tibial osteotomy) and 1 surgery to remove the screws and plate.  Has anyone had any of these done or are familiar with this type of situation.  Do you have any opinion?  I need some advice or thoughts from you.  I believe it would help me make my decision.  My husband says it's my body, my leg, I should decide if I want to do surgery or not.  He supports me whatever I do.  When I fell back in May, you all were so great to help me know what would be the best thing to do, well......I need you again.  I need relief from the pain and something that will get me through until May.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...................WHAT DO YOU THINK??????????????????????????
Thanks for your input!
deejane
 
Current DX:  psoriatic arthritis/rheumatoid arthritis/spondylitis/fibromyalgia, CD, carpal tunnel, degenerative disc disorder, nerve damage, high blood pressure
Current meds:  Remicade 400 mg. every 5-6 weeks, methotrexate, celebrex, lortab, folic acid,
flexeril, topamax, toprol XL, lortab 10-500
Previous meds:  Enbrel, humira, bextra, vioxx


elcamino
Veteran Member


Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 1744
   Posted 7/18/2006 6:45 AM (GMT -7)   

Hi DeeJane,

I don't have any experience with the type of injury you have, or with the options you face.  But if the surgery will provide a semi-permanent fix (at least until you have knee replacement next year), I might consider that option.  To have to go in for  painful injections every month or so does not sound attractive to me.  I'd rather deal with the pain and risk of surgery and get it all over with at once.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Elcamino


Current dx: Rheumatoid Arthritis
Suspected dx: UCTD/Early Lupus
Current Meds: Enbrel, Plaquenil, Aciphex, Ultracet, Zyrtec, Allavert-D, Zantac, Tylenol PM
Past Meds: Relafen, Vioxx, Mobic, Voltaren, Sulfasalazine, Entocort, Prednisone, Humira, Reglan


erin.K
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 3148
   Posted 7/18/2006 6:52 AM (GMT -7)   

Hi Deejane,

Oh God what a thing to decide.  If it were me...I would go for the surgery to clean out the knee.  It might be more invasive, but I feel in the end it would actually pose less a risk of infection & complication & pain than the repeated intra articular knee injections.

I hate the process of the joint injections...and given the choice I would opt for a joint replacement if I was offered one!

When do you have to give final notice?

The best to you!

erin 


Active, Severe Rheumatory Arthritis. Crohns. AS. Chiari Malformation & Right Brain venous anomoly. Partial complex seizures. Emphysema. Rheumatic Lung & Heart. MVP and Tricuspid prolapse. Had Lymes disease for 10 years.
Meds: Humira 40mg Q 4 days; Pred 20mg prn; Pentasa 4G daily; Imuran 50mg; Dilaudid 4mg; Diazepam 5mg; Avinza 30mg; Reglan; Meclizine; LidoDerm; MiraLax & too many others.


deejane
Regular Member


Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 73
   Posted 7/18/2006 5:10 PM (GMT -7)   
I see my orthopedist tomorrow afternoon so we'll talk then.  I'm really hoping we can make some kind of decision.  I'm in alot of pain....I'm getting sharp, shooting pains now.  I know that's not too good.  But, we'll see tomorrow afternoon.  I'll let you all know something when I get home.  Thanks for your input and support.  I do appreciate it.

deejane
 
Current DX:  psoriatic arthritis/rheumatoid arthritis/spondylitis/fibromyalgia, CD, carpal tunnel, degenerative disc disorder, nerve damage, high blood pressure
Current meds:  Remicade 400 mg. every 5-6 weeks, methotrexate, celebrex, lortab, folic acid,
flexeril, topamax, toprol XL, lortab 10-500
Previous meds:  Enbrel, humira, bextra, vioxx


erin.K
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 3148
   Posted 7/19/2006 8:56 AM (GMT -7)   

:-)  hi deejane,

please, when you get home & have time...let us know how everything went.

i hope you got some guidance & advice.

 


Active, Severe Rheumatory Arthritis. Crohns. AS. Chiari Malformation & Right Brain venous anomoly. Partial complex seizures. Emphysema. Rheumatic Lung & Heart. MVP and Tricuspid prolapse. Had Lymes disease for 10 years.
Meds: Humira 40mg Q 4 days; Pred 20mg prn; Pentasa 4G daily; Imuran 50mg; Dilaudid 4mg; Diazepam 5mg; Avinza 30mg; Reglan; Meclizine; LidoDerm; MiraLax & too many others.


deejane
Regular Member


Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 73
   Posted 7/19/2006 5:48 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi all!  Well, I saw my orthopedic surgeon today and it looks like I will have surgery.  We're going to wait until next summer to do a knee replacement.  I already have a knee replacement in my other knee.  The doc doesn't think I'm quite ready for a replacement in the left knee so that's a good thing.  I also don't feel like I'm ready for that yet.  He didn't even discuss the injections today...said they were not an option, after looking at my MRI again.  There's just too much damage in the meniscus.  I think I will wait until the end of August or the first of September to have the surgery because it is close to school beginning here.  I am responsible for the new teachers on my campus and I'd like to get them going on the right track before I have to be off.  He said that amount of time won't make any difference, at this point.
 
However.....I had a bit of a reaction to my Remicade infusion yesterday - itching, hives, and really bad nausea.  That's never happened before.  So, they're going to add some other meds to my pre-meds for next infusion.  Anyway, what a week it's been!!

deejane
 
Current DX:  psoriatic arthritis/rheumatoid arthritis/spondylitis/fibromyalgia, CD, carpal tunnel, degenerative disc disorder, nerve damage, high blood pressure
Current meds:  Remicade 400 mg. every 5-6 weeks, methotrexate, celebrex, lortab, folic acid,
flexeril, topamax, toprol XL, lortab 10-500
Previous meds:  Enbrel, humira, bextra, vioxx


SnowyLynne
Veteran Member


Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1539
   Posted 7/19/2006 6:41 PM (GMT -7)   
My hubby just had his 2nd knee replaced.By the time it hurts to walk it's already bone on bone.Have the surgery you will be glad you did.Just make sure you follow the Drs.&therapists instructions to the letter.They know what they are doing.
SnowyLynne


deejane
Regular Member


Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 73
   Posted 7/19/2006 6:53 PM (GMT -7)   
You're probably right there.  It's already bone on bone.....since I've have 5 surgeries.  I've had one knee replacement and it really did make a huge difference in the other knee so I guess I do have alot to think about.  Thanks for your thoughts!
deejane
 
Current DX:  psoriatic arthritis/rheumatoid arthritis/spondylitis/fibromyalgia, CD, carpal tunnel, degenerative disc disorder, nerve damage, high blood pressure
Current meds:  Remicade 400 mg. every 5-6 weeks, methotrexate, celebrex, lortab, folic acid,
flexeril, topamax, toprol XL, lortab 10-500
Previous meds:  Enbrel, humira, bextra, vioxx


erin.K
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 3148
   Posted 7/20/2006 9:42 AM (GMT -7)   
dear deejane,
any relief now that a decision's been made?  at the least, one less thing to think about until...next month! tongue wow, hats off to ya sista!  no matter how many surgeries...i still get very apprehensive each time before you go "under".  they should put people out when they're outside the OR.  i like the OR...just not if i'm on the table.
lots of blessings and well wishes from now till your surgery.
you're very brave!
erin

deejane
Regular Member


Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 73
   Posted 7/21/2006 1:13 AM (GMT -7)   
dear erin,
Yes, I do feel better now than the decision has been make.   I'm trying to see if my schedule will allow me to have the surgery sooner than later.    I, too, HATE the table in the surgery room.  I always ask for pre-meds because otherwise my blood pressure get too high.  Good excuse, anyway,,,
 
deejane
 
Current DX:  psoriatic arthritis/rheumatoid arthritis/spondylitis/fibromyalgia, CD, carpal tunnel, degenerative disc disorder, nerve damage, high blood pressure
Current meds:  Remicade 400 mg. every 5-6 weeks, methotrexate, celebrex, lortab, folic acid,
flexeril, topamax, toprol XL, lortab 10-500
Previous meds:  Enbrel, humira, bextra, vioxx


erin.K
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 3148
   Posted 7/21/2006 9:42 AM (GMT -7)   
hey dee,
when i was doing my OR rotation in nursing school...it was sooooo cool. i was apprehensive at first because you know, i have mobility issues & it required you to be on your feet for the surgeries. but it was so much fun! and ya got to sit too! on a stool on the ground but sitting at least.
it was a BIG ankle break and broken leg! they had drills, saws, hammers, nails! hah...it was like being at the mechanics! and it is freezin in that room!
take care deejane.
Active, Severe Rheumatory Arthritis. Crohns. AS. Chiari Malformation & Right Brain venous anomoly. Partial complex seizures. Emphysema. Rheumatic Lung & Heart. MVP and Tricuspid prolapse. Had Lymes disease for 10 years.
Meds: Humira 40mg Q 4 days; Pred 20mg prn; Pentasa 4G daily; Imuran 50mg; Dilaudid 4mg; Diazepam 5mg; Avinza 30mg; Reglan; Meclizine; LidoDerm; MiraLax & too many others.


curley
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 4305
   Posted 7/24/2006 7:01 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi,I to am looking at having total knee replacement as well on my left knee it is shot bone to bone and I have had shot's to replace fluid lost but like you it has gone so fare that nothing is doing any good.My Ortho wanted me to do two months ago but I decided to put it off untill the end of September because of some other health issues that need attention.
Thanks
Curley......
a.k.a.Mela...........

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, December 11, 2016 7:06 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,736,310 posts in 301,367 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151462 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, barbarwhit.
230 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Asha00, chrisp1, reminder, LMusings


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer