Andrea ((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))))))
Oh my gosh...I really think you have to get together some thoughts & plans about pain control! That is such a shame you're in awful pain, believe me I know. Have you thought of anything yet? Discussed anything yet with your primary M.D.?
Are you able to take a Tylenol along w/ the Celebrex?
The Cox2's & NSAIDs (NSAIDs like ibuprofen, Advil & Aleve) will help with RA joint pain, inflammation and that throbbing & stiffness. Tylenol and Percogesic (percogesic is hard to find in drugstores) will help with the overall pain, muscle pain & every other discomfort that comes along w/chronic pain. A combination of a Cox2 (or NSAID) and Tylenol with a "buffer" (such as taking the NSAID with a full meal) if you're prone to or have ulcers or IBD (talk with your doc about taking PPI's) take an OTC Prilosec or proton pump inhibitor to protect your stomach & GI system.
What is your doseage of Celebrex? and Methotrexate? How long have you been on these?
I can suggest the following:
- Prednisone. It will help get you or start to get you out of an acute flare and help with severe joint pain.
- Asking about increasing the dose of Celebrex or adding an NSAID to it.
- Adjunctive pain management with an opioid such as Darvocet or even a long acting, slow release morphine like Avinza.
- LidoDerm patches for topical application on joints.
- Humira or Enbrel is more effective when taken with MTX!!! Ask about them.
- Using ice for throbbing knees and elbows & shoulders at the end of the day helps.
- Keeping legs elevated at the end of the day while resting will promote lower extremity venous blood return and help ease the pain of inflammation around the veins (a problem w/ RA).
- Write down & show what precipitates the pain, makes it worse, relieves it, and what extent it is impairing/interfering with your life.
Andrea, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! I do. And it's awful I know. So REST REST REST as much as possible this weekend...it's crucial to have adequate recuperation time.
How soon will it be till you see your new rheummy?
Sincerely & best wishes. erin
Active/Severe Rheumatory Arthritis. Crohns. AS. Chiari Malformation & Right Brain venous anomoly. Partial complex seizures. Emphysema. Rheumatic Lung & Heart. MVP and Tricuspid prolapse. Had Lymes disease for 10 years.
Meds: Humira 40mg Q 4 days; Prednisone 20mg; Pentasa 4G daily; Imuran 50mg; Dilaudid 4mg; Diazepam 5mg; Avinza 60mg; Reglan; Antivert 25mg tid; LidoDerm; MiraLax & too many others.