Hey Yalinda. Yes, I've taken PPIs for years. Even doubled up on them this past year. Plus I take 300 mg of zantac before I lay down to sleep at night. Pulmonologist told me to also be sure and make dinner my smallest meal of the day and don't even have something to drink (yeah, right) before I go to sleep. Me without a drink (non-alcoholic of course because alcohol aggravates the acid reflux) is a ridiculous notion. Maybe I'll switch to water, though, from diet pepsi caffeine-free.
I've tried to back off the PPIs and the Zantac several times because who knows what kind of long-term effects theses drugs may have, but everytime I do the reflux comes back with a vengeance, in less than 24 hours after stopping the drugs.
How did your appointment go with your primary? Do tell.
It does sound like you have problems with acid reflux. Pulmonologist told me to not eat or drink anything after dinner--the entire night. Even a sip of water?! Of course, this is impossible for me to comply with. I never eat after dinner, but I do drink. It's kind of a cycle. If I don't have at least water to sip on, the reflux causes a sore throat; yet, if pulmonologist is right and water produces stomach acid (which I suppose it does, but had never really thought about it), then drinking the water produces more acid that can irritate my throat even more. Jeez, what am I supposed to do?
Hey Duck, I noted that you take prevacid for reflux. Have you ever had any problems with aspiration?
Missie, I hope you feel better soon.
thanks you are right el-
i get the same thing back up at night then coughing and nealry vomitting up stuff from the lungs and then drinking water to help with the burning in my throat then more acid...never ending cycle...now chocloate makes it worse and caffine and anything sweet. heres waht helps me all bran fiber or fiber one. and i stay away from acid y foods. my grandma died of stomach cancer and my mom has gerd hiatel hernia and illiac sprue which casuews havoc weith her entire system.
i have the gerd but notices it goes away when i lose weight or back off on eating the junk food.
once last week i was up at night as usual and my hubby is an enabler and bought me a big thick piece of rich choclate cake , i mean this thing weighed in at 2 pounds and i was in an anxeity attack sat down and ate the whole thing at 3 am, then sat up all night and nearly vomitted my guts out from it all, it took me 3 days to be able to eat reg food, then i told him dont buy me this crap anymore as i cant eat it and you are killing me by buying it for me and he should know better be he himself is diabeitc
i came up into my lungs and nearly killed me from choking to death. not gonna do this any more to myself, although i do have a trrible weak ness for choclate cake and foods.....i even popped 2-3 zantac before i ate it thinking taht would make it right, now i come to learn taht choc is bad for you if you ahve arthritis also!! duh i am my own wrost enemy