Hi board, I have a situation here-maybe someone has some helpful ideas.
I'm a father of a bi-polar 18 year old son who is driving me crazy.
My teenage son (Bryan) is 18yrs old, was diagnosed with manic depression when he was 12. He's been going in and out of phases every season change.
We have been to all kinds of doctors and family cousellors. All kinds of meds have been perscribed but now he seems to be getting worse.
In June, 2002, his manic phase peeked.....to the point where he told his boss to f-off, (then he got fired) dropped out of school, beat the crap out of some kid at his previous school.He also became very violent at home and destructive and threatened and assulted his parents. He stays up all night most nights.
I've totally lost control of him to the point where I feel like a stranger in my own house and sometimes, I'm even afraid to come home from work.
The police were called and he ended up in the hosp. for the whole month of July 2002 so he could be monitored.
Now that he's been at home, he's totally gone the other way.
He hasn't been out of the house since Nov. 2002, no social life at all. He was very athletic. At age 12 he had already received 23 sports trophies for soccer, baseball and football. He loved sports, and dreamed of going to a U.S. College (We're from Canada) on a football scholarship and at the rate he was going with his sports, that goal seemed very reachable. But what concerns me the most:
1) all he does is sleep til 3 or 4 every day and loads up on junk food (won't eat his meals) in front of the TV all day. He has no interest in things that most teenagers do like sports, cars, driving, going to concerts, finding a P/T job for a little extra money. It's very frustrating for me, he's home 24/7.
2) with his constant eating of junk all day, the weight gain is incredible, 100 lbs in 8 months. He thinks it's funny and doesn't care about his health.(now he's lost about 80lbs)
3) Lost interest in everything NO AMBITION AT ALL. He used to have friends (tons of girl friends) comming to the door constantly or phoning but now he wants nothing to do with them.
4) He has become very very very annoying and loves to get on peoples nerves (he even has admitted that to doctors and says it gives him a rush) because it's his way of getting attention.
5) Very gross and rude behaviour.
He acts like he's 9 and seems to be regressing and not maturing.
My wife and I have enroled him in several different schools but in both cases all he does is skip all his classes. He seems to have developed Attention Deficite Disorder (ADD),can't focus and loses interest in everything.
Everybody is trying to help him but he won't help himself.
Need some help. Any ideas?
Randy (Ontario, Canada)