I met my surgeon

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

MicheleV
Regular Member


Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 232
   Posted 8/23/2005 5:26 PM (GMT -7)   
Well, I had my consultation with the breast surgeon yesterday.
 
I came in somewhat positive after two different biopsies with benign results.  I have to have the Complex Sclerosing Lesion removed, and the surgeon told me my chances of the lesion being cancerous was 10%.  Arrggh.  He also kept telling me, he was so sure it would all be fine..yada yada yada.  Well 10% isnt great news to me..I never seem to be in the majority. If I was, I wouldnt have this lesion in the first place.
 
I dont know when my surgery is scheduled for, but they said they would call me.  I keep going back and forth from positive to deathly scared that I wont see my 3 and 5 year old kids make it to puberty.  And all because I was drinking too much caffeine and had breast pain with it.  CRAZY.
 
Thanks for reading..I always feel better just coming here and typing and reading.
 
Michele
Currently in remission on 100 mg Imuran after a year of trying EVERYTHING
else!!


Tavish
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2272
   Posted 8/23/2005 6:42 PM (GMT -7)   
Hang in there, Michelle! Yes, writing is therapeutic, we are always here to listen. Ten percent is pretty great odds for you, remember that means 90% chance of being benign! Way in your favor....and if you are in that 10%, there is every reason to think you will live a long and healthy life! I am coming up on 6 years since diagnosis, and there are many here with tons more years under their belts....

Try not to stay focused on this, stay distracted until you get that good news from the doc!
L&H,
Lori


gma
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 8/24/2005 6:00 AM (GMT -7)   
10% is good, believe me. Chances of getting breast cancer when I was diagnosed was one in eight. I believe the number today is 1 in six, just nine years later. Something is going on that there is so much cancer, not only breast cancer. I read an article in a magazine that had a list of cancers and how treatable they are. Lung cancer and pancreatic cancer led the list as not being very good odds of treatment. Prostate was at the very bottom as being most treatable. Breast cancer was lower than middle range and then take into consideration how early detection factors into it all. I think you are going to be just fine. Leaving that spot in your breast could lower those chances as you get older if there are any cancer cells hidden in there. Don't freak out, you will be fine. Hugs MK


MicheleV
Regular Member


Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 232
   Posted 8/24/2005 4:12 PM (GMT -7)   
Thank you both for your very thoughtful replies :-)     I alternate between rational like you gals are, to being the stressed out maniac I am right now.  I already have ulcerative colitis (as you can see in my sig at the bottom) and have to watch out for colon cancer once a year. 
 
The office called me and my surgery date is 9/6.  So only 2 more weeks or so of living in the land of "do I or dont I".  My surgery is at 10:30 am. 
 
I will just have to do deep breathing til then!
 
Michele
Currently in remission on 100 mg Imuran after a year of trying EVERYTHING
else!!


chantry31
Regular Member


Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 188
   Posted 8/25/2005 12:57 PM (GMT -7)   
Michelle - I know the rollercoaster that your emotions are on... I have a three month old, and I am so scared that I'm not going to be around for her...sometimes its hard to be positive - just know that there are people out there who are praying for you, and that you have something so special in your children! Sometimes I think that its a curse having my daughter (what if I cant take care of her properly??what if, what if, what if...) but she gives me so much to live for!! And those smiles - well I'm not looking forward to chemo, but if it allows me to keep seeing those smiles...

Good Luck!!

chantry
There are no wrong turnings, only paths we did not know we were meant to take - Guy Gavriel Kay

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, December 06, 2016 1:28 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,733,393 posts in 301,111 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151252 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, latest online news.
238 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Girlie


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer