New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Bever
Regular Member


Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 29
   Posted 9/12/2005 9:27 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi there
This is my first time here.
2 months ago I had my first mammogram. A couple of weeks later they called me back for another one and an ultrasound. The Dr. said that they found something that might be a cyst. She said that they will check it again in 6 months. This seems to be an awfully long time. Is this what they usually do, or should I request to have it done earlier??

postal2
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1106
   Posted 9/12/2005 10:01 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi Bever,
I would get it checked more NOW. It may very well, and probably is, nothing, but please do not wait 6 mo. I know with an ultrasound they can usually tell if it is solid or a cyst, but the word "might" be a cyst needs to be eliminated. Please push the issue and get it checked further. If it is solid, the only way they can know for sure is a biopsy. It's so much better to know for sure. Good luck! Gail
 
"Inside this body lies that of a skinny lady.  But I can usually shut her up with chocolate.".


Tavish
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2272
   Posted 9/12/2005 10:11 AM (GMT -7)   
Ditto to what Gail said....my advice is to get copies of your mammo and u/s reports, and the films, and take them for a 2nd opinion. THe films you'll return, but the reports are good to keep for your records. 80% of breast lumps are benign, so odds are in your favor. No need to do surgery on everyone all the time, but getting another pair of eyes to see the films and maybe even more films can help make this more definitive.

Good luck!
Lori


Bever
Regular Member


Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 29
   Posted 9/12/2005 10:29 AM (GMT -7)   

Thanks so much for responding so soon. I felt the same way, but just wanted to hear it from someone else. I'll update you when I know something.

Thanks :-)


debbiR
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 730
   Posted 9/12/2005 10:30 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi Bever! I am glad that you found us and asked your question. I can tell that you feel that 6 mos is to long to wait and I agree w/ not only your feeling but w/ what the other gals have said. If this dr. doesn't want to do anything now, then get those films and copies of your reports and find another dr. 2nd opinions are so valuable. Please let us know what you find out and don't be afraid to come and ask any questions that you might have.
 
Hugs...Deb

 


gma
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 9/12/2005 12:58 PM (GMT -7)   
I don't know why doctors want to play guessing games with us. When I had my first lump the doctor took a needle right then and there in his office and tried to aspirate fluid to see if it was a cyst. No fluid, so they set me up to have a biopsy. I don't understand why all of a sudden the docs think they need 6 mos to make up their minds. I think you need to do just as the others have suggested and get a second opinion or insist on a biopsy. Hugs MK


MicheleV
Regular Member


Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 232
   Posted 9/12/2005 6:52 PM (GMT -7)   
I got the same option when they found my "spot" on the U/S.  I could wait 6 mths, or they could biopsy in now.  I was stunned at the differences between the choices...
 
I biopsied, and am having my lesion removed (with any luck!!!!!) removed on Thursday.  I would never choose the option of waiting 6 months when you can know NOW.  :-)
 
Michele
Currently in remission on 100 mg Imuran after a year of trying EVERYTHING
else!!


MNlady13
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2044
   Posted 9/12/2005 7:17 PM (GMT -7)   
I'm casting another vote for finding out NOW what you are dealing with. Geezz Louise, I wish the docs would quit with the watch and wait game. This is your body, your life. Don't gamble. Good luck. Lauri
"Go confidently into the direction of your dreams. Live the life you always imagined" Thoreau
 
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.


louieloui
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 44
   Posted 9/18/2005 11:29 PM (GMT -7)   
Another vote for getting it checked out now instead of later.  Waiting is the hardest part--so the sooner you can get it checked out and have an answer on the way, the better. 
 
I was told I had a complex cyst and to wait 6 mos.  My aunt had been told that at the age of 35.  She didn't wait--hers came back as cancerous.  I pushed and finally my family doc was able to get another doc to do the biopsy (the 1st one wanted to wait).  Although the radiologist told me he was just going to stick a needle in the cyst, pop it, and be done, he ended up having to do a core biopsy as the cyst ended up being solid.  Thankfully it came back as a benign fibroadenoma, yet I was a mess.  I expected it to be fluid filled and when it ended up being solid I was even more worried.  So be prepared for it to be solid--even if you have several docs saying it's a fluid filled cyst.  That way you won't be as freaked out if it does end up being a mass.  And, like the others have said, keep in mind that most come back as benign.  That's my best advice.  Good luck and keep us updated!
 
~Laura~

Bever
Regular Member


Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 29
   Posted 9/19/2005 7:56 AM (GMT -7)   
Update:
I went back to see my doctor. I now have an appointment for another ultrasound the beginning of November.
I asked for copies of the reports. There are a couple of things that I'm not understanding. I thought this would be the best place to find the answers.
It seems that I have a few scattered cysts in the left breast that are about 5 mm in size. In my right breast there is a "small hypoechoic nodule". They suspect this is a complex cyst, however a small solid nodule could not be excluded. What does this mean???
Bever

Post Edited (Bever) : 9/19/2005 12:36:38 PM (GMT-6)


gma
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 9/21/2005 7:29 AM (GMT -7)   
November is not that far off, so that is good. Just be sure to keep your appointment and if the doctors are still hemming and hawing about what it is, insist on a biopsy. I'm glad to hear they did not put you off for six months like so many do. That is about six weeks until the beginning of November, can you believe how this year has flown by? Meanwhile stay around and join the conversation. Hugs MK

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, December 03, 2016 3:01 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,732,235 posts in 301,003 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151167 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Hope2day.
317 Guest(s), 16 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
imagardener2, Tagier, braddiefj, Lymepilot, Artist Mark, summer16, RoYal DiRty, White Bird, ASAdvocate, Awake_, snowboat, Malone26, HeyNoodles, trumpet123, JesperTrottier, julymorning


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer