New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 44
   Posted 2/28/2006 2:39 AM (GMT -6)   
I went to the surgeon yesterday to discuss removing the fibroadenoma.  While there I asked for a copy of my path report and was surprised to see it did not mention anything about cells.  It said that the findings were "consistent w/fibroadenoma" but nothing more definite.  Is this normal?  I expected to see something like "stable cells, benign, fibroadenoma," (not necessarily those words, but close to it).  During my exam the surgeon found another lump.  At the u/s the breast health coordinator said "Oh it's just a fluid filled cyst."  This of course annoyed me as I had just told her about my aunt and how they had said the same thing to her.  Just not words I want to hear unless they're absolutely sure.  The fibro hasn't changed any--which is good--but it's still there.  The surgeon said I could do one of three things: wait 4-6 mos., come back and do a recheck; do a mammatone; or have a lumpectomy.  I'm leaning towards the lumpectomy--especially after the path report--but am still deciding.  I pushed to have a mammo done, and am having a baseline digital mammo done this Fri.  The doc did say that if anything suspicious showed up he wanted me back in right away. 
I talked to my aunt about possibly having the BRCA testing done and although I couldn't tell if she wanted to or not, she at least seemed somewhat interested.  I haven't heard back from the genetic counselor, although her voicemail said the best times to reach her were Tues. and a few other days (Monday was not one of them), so I'm hoping she calls me tomorrow. 
I'll update again once I talk to the GC and have the mammo.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 2/28/2006 11:34 AM (GMT -6)   
Do the lumpectomy!! It is not a big deal and so much more positive in findings. Why wait and worry about it 4-6 mos, especially with your history. Your aunt does not have to join you in the BCRA. When I looked into it very briefly I was told there was no need for me to have it done, but my daughter would be the one. She is not at all interested. If anthing shows up in any of my grand daughters then I will really push it. I have one pregnant right now, the other is studying to be a doctor so it will be awhile before she marries and has babies. Then I have two younger grand daughters 14 and 10. I do worry about all of them.

Get it out---GONE--is my advice.

Hugs MK

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1106
   Posted 2/28/2006 7:00 PM (GMT -6)   
I DITTO MK! Get it out so you can have peace of mind! At least knowing one way or the other is better than wondering and worrying. Hang in there and let us know what you decide.
L&H, Gail
  It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.
Elisabeth Kubler Ross

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, October 23, 2016 1:12 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,710,422 posts in 298,892 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 153436 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, rfghnbvfgyta.
192 Guest(s), 3 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
redseal25, ppm guy, Jollytinker

Follow on Facebook  Follow on Twitter  Follow on Pinterest

©1996-2016 LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer