New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 45
   Posted 8/14/2006 4:56 PM (GMT -6)   
confused  WHILE HAVIN A SCAT SCAN A FEW WEEKS ago, my dr. saw a mass in my breast, she sent me for a mammagram, which confirmed a 1/2 cm lump or mass under the left nipple and in the ducts. She showed me my films, then an ultrasound was done, which confirmed again......there is no history of breast cancer in either side of my family, i am 44, had a hyster 10 yrs ago, and i am a smoker. I have been on hormones for 10 yrs. As of now I am waiting to find out what is next.....The doc said 1. nothing unless its painful and they can drain it, 2. go for biposy, 3. surgery. Anyone have any insight. I am so worried.....Any help would be appreciated.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 8/14/2006 7:12 PM (GMT -6)   
Go for a biopsy!!!! That is the only way to know for sure what you are dealing with. Being worried for months until another mammogram is not something you want to do. Most of us don't have a history of breast cancer in the family. AND a lump does not automatically mean breast cancer, but if you should have it the sooner you find out the better chance of an easier trip through the journey. I had two benign lumps long before my diagnosis nearly ten years ago. It was caught early and I have not had any cancer issues since. Be proactive and look out for number one. We are here to help with any questions any time. Hugs MK

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 688
   Posted 8/14/2006 8:30 PM (GMT -6)   
Ms Kentucky
Take Mk's advice the biopsy is the best way to get an acurate answer. It is not worth waiting for an answer in 6 months, it will drive you nuts. Keep us posted and welcome to the group, there are alot of wonderful women here.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 826
   Posted 8/14/2006 10:11 PM (GMT -6)   
I'm for the biopsy, too.  That is the ONLY way to be 100% sure what it is or isn't.  I had no family history of BC, either, and was diagnosed at 44.  Welcome to a great place for support and answers.  Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can, so you know what to ask your doctors.
L & H,

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 730
   Posted 8/14/2006 10:12 PM (GMT -6)   
Hello Ms. Kentucky! You have come to a great site for support. We have all been in the place where you are right now. Each of us has experienced the same feelings of fear. As the others have said, HAVE THE BIOPSY! I am surprised that your dr didn't order it right away. Call tomorrow and get an appt as soon as possible. Don't let them put you off for 3 or 4 weeks by saying that it isn't something that can't wait. You won't rest easy until you have an answer and that is reason enough to get them to do it asap. Remember, YOU are your own best health advocate.
Please let us know what you decide.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1294
   Posted 8/15/2006 6:42 AM (GMT -6)   

Ms. Kentucky,

You and your doctor have done everything right so far.  Continue on that path and get the biopsy done.  Like you have been told by other ladies on this board it is the only 100% way to know for sure. 

There is not a family history of B/C in my family either and I was dx at 55.  I actually had to have a lumpectomy for the right dx.  but then I had a very rare type of B/C.  So make the appointments now and relieve your worries. 

Please stay with us and let us know what is happening.  Remember you are your best supporter and you are the boss.  



Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: if one falls down, his friend can help him up.  Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Veteran Member

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 1373
   Posted 8/15/2006 11:35 AM (GMT -6)   
I would definately have the biopsy too, but I would also consider having it out and then biopsied.  You're going for a procedure anyway and if it won't change your lifestyle too much, who wants to live with a mass in their breast?  This is coming from someone who's been through lots of surgeries for other issues, so I don't scare easily when contemplating a surgical procedure.  You'd have to ask yourself about what the drawbacks would be for you and what it's worth to you.  At least have the biopsy.   You can be awake for a biopsy so you probably won't have to face any anesthesia risks, which might not be the case for a mass removal.  However, if you're hardy and your surgeon says it's all right, you could potentially be awake if you decide to have it removed, too.  I was able to elect a local anesthetic for some procedures.
Welcome to our board.  Hope you don't join the club no one wants to join, but I'm glad you found us.  You couldn't have found a better support network than these ladies. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Confucius
Don't knock on Death's Door.  Ring the bell and run.  He hates that.


Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2044
   Posted 8/15/2006 1:34 PM (GMT -6)   
I'm going to line up behind everyone else and vote for a biopsy. We all know that it is the only way to know for sure. I doubt that you will find anyone here who says do nothing. Find out what you are dealing with now. A 1/2 cm lump is very small, so even if it is cancer, you are dealing with something in the very early stages when it is most easily and effectively treated. As soon as you have this taken care of ditch the smokes and get off the hormones. You will be better off without. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Lauri

"Go confidently into the direction of your dreams. Live the life you always imagined" Thoreau
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

New Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 5
   Posted 8/15/2006 11:35 PM (GMT -6)   
hi ms.kentucky! i am new here as well. the people here are very nice and give good advice! i am also in that limbo position between having had the mams and ultrasound but not yet had the biopsy. hopefully the biopsy will be in the next 2 weeks. i would do it tomorrow if the doctor called! my only words of wisdom are to quit the sticks! i quit smoking 8-9 years ago the day my mom was diagnosed with ibc. granted, i had been looking for that extra push to quit but wasnt expecting such a kick in the head as that. also, if you end up having any type of surgery involving anesthesia (and you havent quit smoking) be completely honest with the anesthesiologist about the amount you smoke. if you smoke a pack a day he needs to know that because it affects how they anesthetize you. at least thats what they told me when i had my first lumpectomy. quitting isnt easy. what works for one person wont work for the next. all we can do is keep trying.
good luck!!!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1564
   Posted 8/16/2006 8:25 PM (GMT -6)   
What was the ct scan for? 

Regular Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 243
   Posted 8/19/2006 7:04 AM (GMT -6)   
Go for the biopsy like everyone says. I'm 48 and there is no history of BC in my family. I am a smoker too and I did fine with the anesthesia when they removed my lump. I opted for the core biopsy (I think it's called) where they just sitck a needle like thing in your breast and take a sample. Unfortunately, there was a small percent that was unsure so I had to go in for surgery to take more samples, then surgery a month later to remove all the lump. I had a local for the first surgery, then the more powerful stuff for the whole removal of the lump.

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 45
   Posted 9/1/2006 7:14 PM (GMT -6)   
yeah  Well, thanks to all you ladies. When this confused started the catscan was for kidney pain, believe it or not. That sent me to the mammagram, and they sent me straight to ultrasound. Each test confirmed the mass. well, lucky me, I had the biopsy, it was ultrasound guided, on my bday, aug 22, After waiting 8 days for my results, and losing my mind thruought, I got my results. They also pulled me off the hormones I'd been on for over a decade. This didnt help my emotional stability one bit. A prescription of valium and the 8 day wait, came and went when the mammography dept. called wanting me to see a surgeon on Aug 29th. Which I did. They said the biopsy was insufficient, but wanted to remove the mass because because of its appearance, etc. Well, blood work on the 30th, and I was in on Aug. 30, which was yesterday, for a removal. It was a hookwire procedure. The surgeon said he removed it all, now its on its way to pathology, and I am here at home, in bandages. So whatever it was, its outa me now, THANK GOD. I'm very soore, bandaged up, but not quite as nervous as I was. So I'll find out soon if it was benign or malignant. I'm just glad its outa me. He cut underneath the aureola, and I probably will be a lil lobsided but thats fine with me. So what do you gals think? I guess theres a possibility of radiation if the mass proves to have been malignant, and I still havent been given the go ahead on the hormones. I do appreciate all the replies, and thank you all. With your individual cases, does my experience sound close to what you experienced? And what do you think will happen next?  I'll be looking for your words of wisdom..........Thanks from the bottom of my heart. This all happened in a matter of 3 weeks!!!!!! And good luck to everyone else. I love you all.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, October 23, 2016 4:41 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,710,436 posts in 298,897 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 153443 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, mkjhgfredsw.
164 Guest(s), 5 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Georgia Hunter, Celeste15, VLou*, WorriedUCer, Mad Martha

Follow on Facebook  Follow on Twitter  Follow on Pinterest

©1996-2016 LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer