Any suggestions much appreciated!!

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Jazzy1
Regular Member


Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 46
   Posted 10/18/2007 8:50 PM (GMT -7)   
Hello everyone, I am totally new here, just started poking around today! Anyway, I think I am in a similar situation as Joeyx. Any input, suggestions, etc would be most appreciated.
I had my anual gyn exam in August, and my dr (who I have seen since I was 20, I am now 35) wrote me an order for a baseline mammo since my insurance covers it at 35. He told me it was up to me if I wanted to go as there is no family history of bc and my exams have always felt normal. Well, I finally decided to go figuring why not! This was on the 13th. The nurse called me yesterday and told me there is a 6mm "lump" on my upper, outer, right breast towards my armpit. She said it looks like it could be part of my lymph node. Since there are no previous films to compare it to and it is possible it is just part of my "anatomy", I am to wait 6 months and get re-checked. She emphasized "tiny" and told me if the Radiologist thought it was serious he would have recommended further testing immediately.
   Now, after looking at some past posts, I am not sure if I agree with this. Long story short (too late, right?!) I had a thyroid tumor last year and 2 doctors wanted to do the "wait and see" approach, which I did not agree with because I was in pain and losing my voice. I finally found a surgeon who agreed to take it out (1/2 my thyroid was removed). It was a benign 4cm tumor,  but a form of tumor that is typically cancerous. My dr said thank goodness we didn't wait, and it was pressing on my vocal chords, causing the pain and hoarseness!!!!!! I really prided myself in being my own advocate, but this is totally new territory....I do not know anyone who has gone through this or who has had bc. I know chances are it is "nothing"....but do I just wait???? I keep thinking about what if I waited w/ my thyroid tumor? The previous posts have been helpful, but guess I need some personal suggestions. Thank you very much!!!

babyseeester
Veteran Member


Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 826
   Posted 10/18/2007 11:14 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi there.  I hate doctors and medical people who tell women to wait and see.  My advise would be to insist on further testing.  We all have to be our own advocates in our health care.  No one knows your body better than you do.  I'm glad you didn't wait on your thyroid.  Good luck and let us know what happens.
L & H,
Kathy


gma
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 10/19/2007 1:27 AM (GMT -7)   
I'm up at this ungodly hour to let my dogs out and while waiting I often check out the computer. 6 mm is indeed small. 2.54 cm equals one inch. 6 mm is not quite 1 cm if my thinking is straight in the middle of the night. However, if you can see it and they want to recheck in 6 mos..... Why not remove it and make sure it is nothing now instead of letting it get bigger and taking a chance? Is there a breast specialist in your area? How about a second opinion? I agree with Kathy. Hugs MK

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, December 10, 2016 9:42 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,735,878 posts in 301,335 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151440 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Ian88.
279 Guest(s), 5 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
cupcakespinkgal, BillyBob@388, ChickNorris, Mustard Seed, Traveler


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer