I am new to this forum and trying to find some answers to my condition....Hate going to the doctors as that hasn't helped at all.... mainly they either think I am "high anxiety" person, which is mild form of saying "crazy"... One doctor even told me that "what I need is a psychiatrist and she doesn't have time for me" (once I started crying and asking for help). Another one told me to go find another doctor as he can not find anything wrong with me - so talking about not being depressed? - who wouldn't be with conditions that I have: PLEASE HELP ME FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME :
I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 7 years now and in spite of the treatment and my blood work showing "normal" I am feeling worse and worse every day. Current status:
- Extremely tired, not able to function;
- my thinking, concentration, memory, reflexes - chaos;
- my eyes, face muscles keep twitching... now occasionally, a year and a half ago the twitching lasted continuously for 4 months, from down to dusk;
- first my arms getting numb when sleeping or sitting still; now my legs too; not able to sit longer that an hour or lift anything;
- very slow metabolism - bowel movements once in 7-8 days, but loose and high in acid, causing my hemorrhoids to inflame;No urge to go at all, but sometimes would find my panties smudged - no control either;
- digestive problems and excessive burping even early in the morning as soon as I get up. Just air, no matter what I eat;
- cholesterol high - of course with all the toxins I am keeping in me;
- sleep disorder - not able to put more than 4 hours of sleep together, wake up every hour or two and feel like sleeping the whole day;
- body temperature low - I am cold all the time - had the heater by my feet all summer long;
- nails & hair brittle and lifeless;
- vision -used to be good, but lately, because tired - it's blurred;
- way too frequent bladder infections for 3-4 years now (would only get off antibiotics for a week or two and it starts all over again);
- not to mention the yeast infection after;
- menstrual problems - never mind the big blood cloths, but in the last two-three years in several occasions I would get my period all over again, just when it ends, so I end up with 2 cycles in a month; exhausts me even more;
- between the tiredness, bladder problems, hemorrhoids and yeast infection... don't really feel sexy at all;
- already have 3 surgeries on my right breast (when I was 14, at age 21 and just last year at 35) - last one was due to discharge from the nipple, due to "abnormality" as I was told, to remove the "bad" duct;
- I've had this scar on my left calf for years (even before diagnosed with hypothyroid) and after reading a lot now about Lyme make me believe that it was Lyme that causes all of the above problems - it's darker bronze skin colour now (used to be reddish 5-6 years ago) of about 2" long and 1" wide, with lighter, pale pink colour in the middle of 1/2". It's bumpy in the middle and smooth but flaky on the outside - just itchy from time to time, not always;March-April of this year, a dark bronze colour rash appeared on my back/lower neck area, cortisone and other 3-4 types of creams just made it worse. It would disappear and then reappear again;
There are probably more symptoms that are bothering me from time to time, like knee pain or hand-joists pain, headaches that I got used to and neck-pains that I keep stretching and exercising to relieve.... that are nothing in comparison to the fear of what else I should expect...
I used to be athletic and fit person, energetic and always on the go. I make sure I eat healthy and do believe that natural remedies and nutrition can cure any disease - I just haven't found what works for me... At one time I used Norwegian Kelp (Equate brand from Walmart) and that helped a lot (my numbness disappeared, my metabolism improved and my energy level was much better) - guess what: Equate decided to discontinue the production of this product and now I am trying all the Kelps that are out there... nothing helps the way that one did.... there must've been something more than just the Kelp in it - makes me wonder.
I should also mention that I used to live in Europe 6 years ago and now I am in Canada...
Thank you for your help. Any suggestions - welcome
Thank you for your reply sleepygirl,
Now that you mentioned allergies, I used to have hay feaver until 3 years ago.... and then that suddenly disappeared. At least now I can go outside and breathe.
As for the kidneys pain - I have all kinds of pain in my back and since I am most of the time on antibiotics, I can't tell what hurts and why.
I also forgot to write in my summary that lately my mouth and my throat gets really dry and feels like burning (I have to drink plenty of water/tea/something even overnight)... I believe this is because I am overdosing myself with kelp/iodine... feels better for the metabolism (bowel movements more often now - 2 times a week)...
Does anyone know what are the sideeffects of too much iodine in your blood. So far this is the only thing I see getting worse than before I started my intense iodine treatement.
Thanks again for all your support
I used to have pains in the past with standing up for a long time. I had gallstones for a lifetime which were undiagnosed until recently which I had surgery for. Now i feel fine. hope this helps.
I used to get alot of twitching eyes and twitching muscles. But since I started taking calcium, this problem has settled. my hair was also falling out but since I have started calcium it has stopped. Low temperature can be a sign of infection or it can be a sign of low grade fever. As for your bowel movement, you may need to increase your fluid and fibre intake. Cut down on caffeine. Increase your fruit and veg intake. in the case of heavy periods you may need a blood test to check if your iron levels are fine because heavy periods can cause iron deficiency. hope this helps.
Thank you Queen,
I have been taking vitamins, including calcium, but doesn't really help since I am flushing everything down the toilet (due to bladder infections). It's a vicious circle. I do put plain fibre in my cereal in the morning and take metamucil as well. I mix fruits with my fruit yogourt at night. As I said everything goes down the drain.
And yes, I do have low iron, however the hemoglobine is within normal. ???
I think I am going to try the niacin treatment suggested somewhere else in this forum. I read this link to Dr. Myhill's web page and everything made sense: it all starts with the heart.
When I was pregnant with my second child, I had to take extensive doses of some medicine to keep my baby. The doctor mentioned back then that it could damage my heart and that I need to take kalium to protect it... That never happened, I had my son and by the time he was 1 year old, I had extreme palpitations, night and day, not even the strongest sleeping shots helped.
I had, and still have these palpitations from time to time, if my sleepless nights continue for more than three consecutive days. It really helps to take a nap in the middle of the day, usually when I come back from work, even for ten-twenty minutes.
So, I am starting with the niacin tomorrow and will let you know the outcome in a month.
Thank you all very much...
I have been reading a lot and the more I read the more confused I am. One thing I know - you are giving me far better suggestions than any doctors so far.
I just had a visit to a neurologist's office couple of days ago and since he couldn't find nerve damage (by sending electric shocks through my nerves) he made a clinical dx - I have carpal tunnel syndrome and need to wear arm braces - yeah right. When I told him I don't believe in that since I don't do any repetitive movements that would cause that, besides I need my other symptoms connected as well... asked if he would give me braces for the legs as well since they are getting worse... He then said "would you be happy if I sent you for MS testing??" - as if he needs to get rid of me and make me happy at the same time...
I am suspecting lyme quite some time now, but I can't figure out when did I got it, since when do I have it, how long do I have it. Do I have it ever since I was 11 yrs old? Ever since my first messed-up period? I don't remember being sick before that. Although I do remember being very very sick the summer after my first period with high fever, being unconscious for 3 days - never knew what caused it...
On the other hand, if I have it for 25 years now, I am then doing quite well - still on my feet, still able to use my hands, still trying to use my brain (have university degree and working on a second degree - ..very difficult, not the way I used to study and memorise stuff.. but I can't give up). Also, I don't leave my house unless I have make up on and fresh hairstyle - which does hide well all my anomalies and the doctors say "you look good, nothing is wrong with you".
Bottomline - I have to find a good doctor, but I am very limited... and also, I just heard of a new doctor that is very good, the wait for an innitial appointment is 3 months and then another 3 for the next appointment.
From just a simple vitamin or mineral defficiency, to nutrition malfunction, to Wilson's temperature Syndrome (yes I have very low temp - usually below 96. It will only increase several days before my period and then drop again), to Candida overgrowth Syndrome, read also about a Heart deficiency that results in all of these syndroms, to MS and Lyme... too much - all with similar symptoms.
Don't know where to start - currently taking my thyroid pills, cleansing - detox herbs, kelp, lots of garlic and sauna every day...started using the garlic pills as supositories instead for better effect killing the yeast... and - I only used to have bowel movements once a week (I was told doctors call it "dumping syndrome"), now with the detox -every second-third day. If I stop the detox pills - back to weekly again - clogged up.
Thank you again - at least I don't feel alone anymore - until the next weird symptom...
Sounds like Lyme disease. Please try to see an lyme literate doctor. Let me know if you need the name of a great lyme doctor in your area. If you have been tested for lyme please know that the tests are unsophisticated and only pick up a handful of strains when there are hundreds. I have experienced much of the same symptoms and after visiting several doctors, I finally found one who helped me.
You should not have to live like this. Please let me know if I can help.
Post Edited (coldincanada) : 3/18/2009 9:01:03 PM (GMT-6)