Especially if you have evidence of what may be causing your pain, then it's definitely not in your head. I have heard that stress can cause pains, but the only pains stress ever caused me were tension headaches. Other than that, I also have evidence of problems in my spine which can explain, at least, my lower body symptoms. But in describing my neck, shoulder, and face symptoms to my PM, he told me of some other nerves those problems could be related to. And it's possible I might have the same thing going on in my neck as I did in my lumbar spine.
It's also possible that sometimes some distraction could make you focus less on whatever pain, so maybe it's possible with your ice cream, I don't know. My Rheum seems to be thinking all my nerve problems are fibromyalgia related, but I really doubt that. He doesn't even have my last MRI report, which can explain many of my low back problems. I think since I told him I didn't want a ton of lidocaine shots every time I go there anymore, it seems he's not too interested anymore. BTW, the lidocaine shots did absolutely nothing for me except to cause even more excruciating pain where the shots were injected. This was because I had severe spasms in those areas and having 10-12 needles stuck into those muscles is no picnic.
Anyway, I hardly think your pain is in your head from what I've read of your posts, so get that thinking out of year head.
If a doctor tells you it's all in your head please get a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th opinion. I fell hook line and sinker for this in a nasty workers compensation case when all the conservative treatment failed. It was "in my head" or it was "psychosomatic" a "psychophysiological issue." I was lured into this boat by a very cagey psychiatrist that sprinkled a little somatoform disorder to top it all off. My darn knee hurt and all I wanted was an MRI.
Pain is a subjective complaint, with it carries a burden to prove that you are in pain 24/7. Something that once was acute has now unfortunately become a chronic problem. The medical profession along with the civil judicial system will question your credibility pertaining to the frequency, duration and the symptoms that lead to these complaints. In short you are a liar when someone other than yourself is pulling the strings. I was led astray ignorantly for over a year and a half. Cognitive Behavorial Therapy. Hundreds if not thousands of hours of counseling and physical therapy. My legs hurting so bad I didn't know which one I should limp on. Endless sleepless nights questioning my sanity sleeping in a chair, not feeling my legs 90% of the time due to the numbness the last year. Paraplegia is a good thing other than the other 10% of the time which also was in my "head." Look into how psychiatry is now treating pain as the 6th sense.
Once the plug was pulled, 6 surgeries involving my legs, both knees getting reconstructions. (Actually according to 2 of MY Orthopedic Surgeons they both need Total Knee Replacements) Yes I have had several opinions since I'm the one footing the bill. L/5-S1 collapsed with a large osteophyte invading the spinal canal. Pain that I was led to believe was nothing but a figment of my imagination. There is no such thing as chronic pain, it's just a little boo boo. Trying to control blood pressure that was 168/102 w/pulse of 96 WITH BP medications, NEVER getting it under control. Now making it somewhat normal (116/71 w/pulse of 70) with pain medications? Losing the anxiety medications and depression medications? My age (45) leaving 3 surgeons not knowing where or even if to start? Boney growth (gravel) where my meniscus used to be leaving me bone on bone with joint space narrowing to the point of NO space. Bone fragments for cushions. My mind took control with the help of a VERY sharp psychiatrist. Not ethical but oh soooo much smarter than I. I will forever question authority. To answer the original question, "Can Chronic Pain be psychosomatic?" Yes...90 million people can't ALL be right! Sorry for the rant, not a lot a chair bound person can do.