Seeing PM doc tomarrow

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

shannon1
Regular Member


Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 369
   Posted 5/5/2009 11:53 AM (GMT -7)   
Hello all!!!!
 
Im seeing my PM doc tomarrow for my refills, and as my monthly report on my foot/nerve pain after having the radiofrequency last october. Last month, i had told them that my pain is starting to come back and i find now that every morning, it is a little worse.  They would like me to wait as long as possible before doing the RF again.
 
I am at the point where i "feel" ready again for it, however i am cleared for my followup surgery to my hysterectomy (to cut/release the trapped nerve) for HOPEFULLY sometime this month.
 
My ? is, should i push to get the RF done before, or should i try to push it as far as i can? Since i will be having anesthiea for surgery, is it bad to have it twice in a 2-3 wk period, as my PM uses it to do his procedure......I think i can push it, but have had such a nice "taste" of being only mildly in pain as compared to severe pain before the RF......would really hate to be back there again....but maybe i could push it a few wks till i heal from the nerve surgery, what do u guys think?
Jan. 2009, complete hysterectomy, diagnosed stage 4 endometriosis & adenomyosis (age 36)
2003, dx moderate UC
2000, dx selective IGA deficiency w/ anti IGA antibodies
2000, dx Antipholipid Antibody Syndrome
1999-2009, chronic hemmoragic ovarian cysts, w/ partial ovary removal
1977, complete reconstruction of foot after lawnmower accident (chronic pain)
 
Meds
6mp 75mg, prednisone 40mg (just starting meds again)
percocet 5mg 3x day
potassium 3x day
 


White Beard
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 3610
   Posted 5/5/2009 12:53 PM (GMT -7)   
shannon1

That is really something that you need to have a serious talk with your Doctor or the Anesthesiologist about it, they might not recommend having the RF done, at least so close to the time of your surgery or again they might! But in any case, if you do have it done then you should definitely let your other Doctor know about it before hand. I think you should talk to both the Doctors to see what they say. They might think of some reason to have it, or not to have it , that you might not have even considered.
No matter what the decision is, I do wish you well!

White Beard
  I'm Retired USAF, went back to school and became an RN, and now am on full disalbility!--Degenerative Disc (affecting mostly the thorasic disc but all levels involved), C6/7 laminectomy/diskectomy& fusion, Osteoarthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Chronic Pain, Fibromyalgia, Complex Sleep Apnea, and host of other things to spice up my life!(NOT!) Medications: Oxycontin, Percocet, Baclofen, Sulfasalazine, Metoprolol, Folic Acid, Supplemental O2 at 3lpm with VPAP Adapt SV


Ms Kitty
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 37
   Posted 5/5/2009 12:55 PM (GMT -7)   

Could you describe the radiofrequency treatment?  Please?

MsKitty 


Severe diabetic neuropathy, 3 stents, arthritis, R/BK amputee
 
Duragesic pain patches, Vicodin ES, Elevil, insulin and lots of other meds


PAlady
Veteran Member


Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 6795
   Posted 5/5/2009 2:17 PM (GMT -7)   
Shannon,
I agree with White Beard you need to talk to both doctors, esp. re: the anesthesia. But another issue is that to my knowledge, RF isn't designed to be a cure in many cases. Nerves tend to regenerate and can up to 2 years to do that, but apparently yours may not be lasting that long. I guess what I'm saying is that you may have to learn other options for the nerve pain to supplement the RF; I'd suggest discussing that with your doctor. I don't know if there are other options for you as far as interventional procedures. But if the RF is only going to last you a few months, maybe having the other surgery first would be better, and you might see how you feel then. But this is just an opinion - I'm sure not a doctor!

PaLady

skeye
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 2976
   Posted 5/5/2009 5:44 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi Shannon,

I agree with everyone in saying that you need to talk this over with your docs. Everyone handles anesthesia differently, but it certainly isn't something that you want to be subjecting yourself to more than is necessary. I really don't know much about RF, so forgive me if this question is naive, but would it be possible to have both procedures done at the same time? Granted both your docs would have to have privileges at the same hospital & it would take some coordination... But this is actually done fairly often ("killing two birds with one stone" so-to-speak). Just something I was thinking about. It is really great that the procedure has lasted for so long! I can understand not wanting to wait until you are back to the way you used to be...

Skeye

shannon1
Regular Member


Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 369
   Posted 5/6/2009 1:59 PM (GMT -7)   

Thank you so much for your replies!

I saw my Pm doc today , and they would like me to wait as long as possible, so the game plan is to have surgery on the 18 of may, and then have the RF closer to June/July if i can....

Ms Kitty, i don't really know to much technally about the RF, but i have had lumbar sympathatic blocks for a few yrs now. (in the back, but for the foot). When those stopped working as well, we decided to give  the RF a try. They go the same spot in the back, and use radio frequency waves to injure the nerve so it can't send the same pain impulse anymore. I was told that it could take anywhere from 6mo to years for the nerve to come back, and it has been 8 months for me!!! (which i consider a HUGE success)

Again, thank you all for taking the time to give me ur opinions!

PAlady, thanks again for all your wonderful wisdom! I really wish i was a canidate for surgery to "fix" my problems in the foot, however, NO doctor will touch me (i think they are afraid of outcome), as the foot is a mess.....i have tried all the nerve related meds to no avail. My pain meds help, but just enough to help me tolerate my day (which is very busy running after two young children).  They have discussed totally cutting the nerve, surgically, but i have been told i will lose feeling in the bottom of my foot, and that is scary, god forbid i step on something or i have other issues in the foot that need to be addressed, but won't know it if i can't feel it....sorta a lose/lose situation.

Skeye, unfortunatly, my PM does not go to the hospital im having my abdomnial surgery. I wish i could just kill two birds w/ one stone! Heck, i would throw a whole pile if i thought it might help...LOL

White Beard, thank you once again for your responses to my posts! You are indeed a wonderful person!


Jan. 2009, complete hysterectomy, diagnosed stage 4 endometriosis & adenomyosis (age 36)
2003, dx moderate UC
2000, dx selective IGA deficiency w/ anti IGA antibodies
2000, dx Antipholipid Antibody Syndrome
1999-2009, chronic hemmoragic ovarian cysts, w/ partial ovary removal
1977, complete reconstruction of foot after lawnmower accident (chronic pain)
 
Meds
6mp 75mg, prednisone 40mg (just starting meds again)
percocet 5mg 3x day
potassium 3x day
 

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, December 04, 2016 1:24 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,732,430 posts in 301,020 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151182 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Sean C..
195 Guest(s), 3 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
THE HAPPY TURTLE, pressurehead, gilly2


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer