Hi! I am new to this forum and wish you all well.
So I just got out of the hospital following my first bad flare-up in 8 years - in my ileum. I have the beginning of a fistula from my ileum to the abdominal lining. I was on flagyl by IV for 6 days. At first the doctors thought surgery was going to be required, but I reacted well to the antibiotics and the pain is just about gone, as is the swelling, redness, and hardness in my abdomen. I am home now and just ended two weeks of oral flagyl, and an am on 9mg/day of Entocort for two more months.
My question is -- before I landed in the hospital, my husband and I had decided to try to get pregnant. I am almost 38, so there is some urgency to this. My surgeon is suggesting that the prudent thing to do is have surgery now to remove the damaged part of my ileum BEFORE I try to get pregnant. The thinking is that I will be a good, “healthy” place to get pregnant if I have the surgery first.
If I don't do the surgery, my chances of having a flare-up during pregnancy are much higher, which is never good. Surgery of course scares me, and given the long period of remission I just came out of, I think I should just dive in now and try to get pregnant without during the surgery.
Any opinions about how to proceed??
Also, any information/stories about how long recovery takes from this type of surgery would be appreciated.
Happy New Year.
Diagnosed with CD in 1997; appendix removed. One hospitalization for flare-up, 12/2007. Proto-fistula in ileum. On 9mg Entocort, fish oil, probiotics, multi-vitamin.