The following link provides info about Imuran, which can take 3 months or longer to work. This is why many patients go on Entocort, prednisone or some other maintenance med while waiting for Imuran to work:
Thanks for the responses. The thing is I'm on Entocort 9mg right now. I've been on it since I was diagnosed (almost 5 years ago). I've never been in remission and have had a lot of the typical steroid side-effects from the Entocort. I haven't even been well enough to lower the dose at all in all those years. I was always trying to avoid Imuran, but I'm so desparate to get off the steroids now, I'll try anything.
I can't afford Remicade since I don't have insurance. I think I'll give the Imuran about 6 months to work. The next step is probably Methoxetrate, and then maybe the anti-MAP antibiotics (I'll try anything).
So, are most in agreement that if one is going to go on Imuran or 6-MP then one should stay on steriods? Hubby says he feels marginally better on prednisone. But at the same time that he went on the prednisone, he also developed an upper resp. infection. I wonder if feeling bad from the URI hid how well/not well the prednisone helped.
If he feels the pred didn't really help, should he try this entocort instead?