Surgery Questions

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 5/17/2008 1:25 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi, I'm a Male whos 21 years of age, who also looks at alot younger then 21. I found out i had Crohns Disease about 2 years ago. I'm sure i had it sooner (maybe when i was 12 or 13 years old)  but wasnt discovered unstill 2 years ago. I went from 5'4, 75 lbs to 5'7, to 135 lbs in 2 years. I'm hoping i still grow since my bone age test showed my bone age is 15.  I'm not lactose intolerant ,so i drink alot of milk with Weight Gainer powder to mantain weight and Gain weight.
My doctors say "its a Mild" case, however it looks like im going to need Surgery to fix this. Its doesnt really bother me but i can still feel it on my right side. The surgery is to fix the blockage and removing only the diseased section around my small intestine area.
I never had Surgery in my life and i really dont know anyone with this Disease. So maybe you guys can help and answer some questions for me:
How was the surgery?
Do they cut your whole stomach open?
How long was the recovery time?
How kind of Meds are you on now?
How are you feeling now ?
Thank you all soo much !!! :-)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 4527
   Posted 5/17/2008 7:19 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi My surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and my incision was about 7 inches long with 22 staples. Some people get it done lapo. I was too bloated for that.I guess the recovery time is about 6 weeks .I am on no meds at this time but was on the pred at the time of surgery. I did try Imuran but got a rashso stopped it, I was told about 80% of people go into remisssion after surgery. The bowels are doing pretty good and it is great to be able to have bowel movements again. Most of the time they are solid or semi-solid, the good thing is I don't have any pain since surgery in Jan. My surgery was in the TI cecum area and had the 2 fistula's removed. If your case is mild why do you need surgery? I did have a blockage too .Hope you feel better soon and keep in touch. lol gail

New Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 16
   Posted 5/17/2008 1:44 PM (GMT -6)   
I just had resection surgery of the terminal ileum on May 1st and am doing great all things considered.My surgery was a open surgery in the center of my abdomen requiring about 24 staples,I was in the hospital 5 days,I am in sales which is not hard work I started back working a few days after I got out and had the staples removed.I am taking one maintenance drug azsulphidine to hopefully prevent inflammation.Hope everything goes well.

New Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 5/17/2008 8:01 PM (GMT -6)   
Well my doctors say my blockage creates a very norrow hole . So if my blockage gets cleared out, they feel i'll be alot better.

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 9448
   Posted 5/18/2008 8:20 AM (GMT -6)   
HHH, I was Dx'd w/"mild" Crohn's in early 1976. It was in just one "spot" in my mid-ileum. I'm not sure what criteria "they" use to determine whether the Crohn's is mild or severe. My symptoms sure as h*ll weren't mild!! I could bloat up like I was 11 months pregnant w/twins in no time, I was nauseous 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 1/2 years and had bouts of pain so severe I can remember laying in bed crying "no more, God, please no more!" The "only" relief I got at all was a shot of Demerol and Phenergan in ER and maybe some IV fluids (and I suppose prednisone). I was in ER just about once a month if not more w/severe vomiting and pain. I ended up spending 6 weeks in the hospital locally on IV fluids and an NG tube pumping out my stomach and intestines. Doesn't sound mild, does it?

After 6 weeks w/that NG tube it became very painful and "they" just ignored my complaints and said it was necessary. I finally pulled the darn thing out myself. When they insisted they had to insert another I panicked and called the airport and my husband and w/in 2 hours released myself from the hospital and was on a plane to Mayo Clinic. I was admitted thru ER and the Mayo docs confirmed that my Crohn's was still confined to that one area of the mid-ileum. They expected that they'd only have to resect 12"-18" of that mid-ileum - no guarantees, of course. BUT I had a 60% chance the Crohn's would eventually return. Those 40% odds that it wouldn't sounded pretty darn good to me at that point in time and I agreed to the surgery. Back then, 1978, they weren't doing laparascopy so I did have the open abdomen surgery. I was off pain medication, without ANY need for it, before I was released and NEVER had a bit of pain on the flight home nor once I got home. I HAD A LIFE AGAIN!

I was then blessed w/a TWENTY YEAR REMISSION!! And when the Crohn's did return in 1978 it was MUCH more "mild" than at any time prior to that resection 20 years previous. W/today's medications (Imuran and Pentasa) I've been in symptomatic remission for most of these 10 years.

I recently ran into a fellow volunteer at our local hospital that had a resection the same year I did for Crohn's and she is STILL in REMISSION from that surgery!
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:40 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,709,199 posts in 298,781 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 153288 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Easy Does It.
399 Guest(s), 16 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
JayMot, Jen77, Xmaslover, Barnaby, Hilly Girl, clairedavas, supapfunk, Uniform Charlie, NiceCupOfTea, TilTheEndOfTime, cr3ativegirl, tixsuckx, sam12, straydog, Sissy63, iPoop

Follow on Facebook  Follow on Twitter  Follow on Pinterest

©1996-2016 LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer