1) How often do you get an infusion? I get my infusions every 8 weeks. The "loading doses" are at 0, 2 adn 6 weeks then you will go on a regular schedule depending on your dr and how you respond to the medication. I think another consideration is when it starts to wear off for each individual person so you may go shorter or longer than 8 weeks (which I think is the norm).
2) Did anyone take Remicade while pregnant? I am currently 26 weeks pregnant with my second child and on remicade. I had my first bowel resection in July 2007 and remicade is the only drug that has kept me symptom free so I use it as maintenance. Every GI and OB/GYN have their own opinion on using it during pregnancy. My GI was fine with it, but my OB was VERY hesitant. I explained to him that without the med pregnancy wasn't an option because I couldn't risk being as sick as I was without meds during my first pregnancy. If you are considering getting pregnant, talk to both drs and go with your gut feeling on whether it's right for you or not. There are several others on this forum who have taken remicade and had healthy babies.
3) Hope this isn't too personal, but how much did it cost? My infusions are billed at $5500 and the insurance agrees to pay $4400 each time. Because my out of pocket max was met after one treatment this year, they are covered 100% by my insurance.
4) Where were you given the treatment? My treatments are given at my drs office in a room that is specifically for infusions (remicade, orencia, etc). I can only schedule my treatments on certain days when a GI is in the building in case I would have some kind of reaction.
5) Is Remicade considered to be a prescription drug or a doctor-administered treatment (for insurance purposes)? For me it is a dr admin treatment and it's all billed through the dr office/infusion room. I don't pay a co-pay like you would for an office visit though.
I hope this was helpful as I know there is a lot of info to take in about these treatments. I have never had any issues with Remicade and it has been my "miracle" drug! GOODLUCK!
Fibromyalgia DX March 2003
Crohn's DX Jan 2006 (Symptoms since 96-Misdiagnosed as "female" problems-Major flare during pregnancy in 05 which lead to DX)
1st resection July 2007
Currently on Remicade/8 weeks