It surprises me a little that your going ahead with the operation after only having a couple of blockages so far since diagnosed. The main reason I personally think its time is because after my last blockage in March 2008 i've been left feeling very bloated,hard and distended which showed my sticture had worsened on my small bowel follow through. When I discussed this with my Gi and Colorectal surgeon together they basically said its my decision but told me also that its not uncommon for people to dance around the floor in pain with a blockages and carry on like that for years. Normally after my previsious blockages in the past 15 years I've felt completley fine after the food had passed but this time its very different with alot tenderness and noise from my bottom right quadrant so going on the symptoms and the amount of time I've had of work this years we all come up with now maybe the time for surgery.
And I must say for the best part of 15 years I never really eat a low fibre - low residue food. I suppose I've eaten the same as anybody else, Chinese-Pizza-meat- veg- nuts etc. Speaking to my GI doctors recently they all have told me to cut out nuts-stringey veg-sweetcorn-orange piff-fatty meat etc.
Whatever you choose Wolfie I'm sure we will be both ok , I would like to think with us only having mild crohn's we will never need a second Operation.
Wolfie after your blockage how do you normally feel? How long do your blockages last for? Do ever have any idea what caused the blockage and how intense is the pain?
Wolfie, I know where you are coming from. A surgeon was called in at my first colonoscopy 18 months ago although at that time they thought it might be colon cancer.
I am having my fourth colonoscopy (also have had three sigmoidoscopies) tomorrow and will see where we go from there. I have also seen a colorectal surgeon.
I have a stricture in my colon but no usual symptoms, no blockages and I am sure most people, probably including spiceman, would not even consider surgery. I consider my quality of life to be excellent. But from what I understand is that a stricture from scar tissue is not going to go away and can not be treated with medication. Yes, meds may prevent further narrowing but do I want to be on metho long term? Surgery could probably be put off for some time but how many colonoscopies do I want, (Stepmom's colon was perforated by GI during colonoscopy)? They have to use pediatric scope to get through the stricture and not always successful. Didn't emrose post that they found cancer hiding in a stricture in her husband? I have a surgeon in place, would I rather have planned surgery? Never ending questions??
Still doing the Colyte prep so hoping things go well and we get to see the whole intestine and what is going on.
For me the decision was easy...two hospital stays in 4 weeks because of blockages and several blockages that i just toughed out and stayed home. In hindsight I feel I made the right cal because the blockages were coming at me so fast...almost weekly ....but if the partial blockages were only happening every couple of years....I would probably have waited.
I know my doctor wanted to wait even after the first hospital stay because he felt maybe we could treat it with meds.
My quality of life and ease of mind is better since the surgery...but I still get nervous if I feel a little backed up or bloated.