I have been diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis. I had my first MAJOR flare up in Jan. 08 after I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks. I was previously diagnosed with UC and put on asacol back in 05. I went right in remission and before ttc via IVF i stopped my meds. I am assuming that is what helped me in a bad flare. I have been sick ever since. Not really responding to anything.
I am at the point where I am taking 12 asacol, 1 canasa, and 1 hydrocort enema. I am still bleeding but go about 2-3 times a day. I did go get a second opinon and that GI took me off the asacol and told me to taper the enema on 12/24...I immediately got worse and went back to old GI yesterday. she told me to go back to my normal routine. Anyway, I know the next step is either 6MP or remicade....and I know most Dr.'s want you in remission before having a baby.
My questions are...
How many of you had babies while on 6MP or remicade?
Was your pregnancy successful?
Is going to a high risk OB a good idea (I have an appt on 1/14) to help learn more about the meds?
I dont want to put a baby on hold. I have been trying for years. I know I can't keep doing IVF but I am supposed to cycle in Feb. My husband and I have considered adoption and have met with several agencies. I just can't decide on what to do??? Do I go on the stronger meds and have a baby and take a risk, if there is one???
Please advise...I am sooo scared and sad.
sever ulcerative proctitis - march 05 diagnosed
current status - trying to see what works - still bleeding!!!!!
hospitalized - 3/08 for 6 days of IV steriods
colazal - 9 pills asacol - 12 pills, 4 pills 2x a day - sulfasalazine (started 12/24/08)
canasa 2x per day, nightly hydrocortisone enemas - tapering
VSL#3 Primal Defense Ultra Probiotic (2x per day)
fish oil, calcium w/ vitamin d 2x a day, curcumin, prenatal vitamin & extra vitamin c and b12