Post Edited (Rider Fan) : 2/19/2009 2:05:32 PM (GMT-7)
Post Edited (spookyhurst) : 2/11/2009 10:55:46 PM (GMT-7)
Rider Fan, I know how hard a decision it is whether or not to have surgery. If you have a GI and surgeon you trust, ultimately you'll make the decsion you think is best for you.
I have no diarrhea, pain or bleeding. I do have a stricture in colon which has shown to be deep scar tissue and feel that no medication is going to take it away. I see no point in taking higher end drugs for 'my' situation.
I have a sigmoidectomy scheduled for May 11th and even though I think it is the right decision there are bound to be doubts and questions.
I was on Humira for year with little to no relief...I stayed on it because I feared remicade to be worse for me....
the doc an di had decided to stop the Humira and maybe try remicade when I self dx'd a blockage (thanks to some help from this board)...the doc agreed and we decided to stay on the humira while testing for the blockage...then over the period of 30 days: I had to spend a couple of days in the hospital with a partial blockage...released went in for anothe c-scan (had one when I rushed to the ER) plus did the old barium x-rays and a contrast c-scan/MRI....results showed some area of "small" concern.....decide to do the pill cam....two weeks later (two days prior to pill cam) I block again...go to ER...get admitted for emergency surgery...pass the blockage...c-scan at the time shows a major block....block passes...hold off a day or two to get build up of IV anti-b's and fluids....then a resection of the small bowel (took out 30 inches).
NOW: I am much better, gained 10 pounds...first time to gain weight of any importance in 5 years....the Humira seems to be working. the reasoning here is that the Humira could not work because it was wasting most of its "healing" powers on a 30 inch setion of mess that could not be healed....now that the bad stuff is mostly gone it can concentrate on what is left.
My personal opinion for you is to see about the pill cam before you do anything as serious as surgery or Humira....I have read a lot about the pill cam and feel that it will really show if there is a small bowel issue and where it is.
Post Edited (Rider Fan) : 2/14/2009 1:44:33 PM (GMT-7)
Post Edited (Rider Fan) : 2/14/2009 7:44:10 PM (GMT-7)
I think a lot of people gave you some history and comparative information so that YOU could make an informed decision. I can only speak for myself...but I would never tell you if it was dumb or smart....first I have hardly any information to go on...no test results to study...don't have my doctorate degree.....it is a pretty big responsibility to take on what you are asking for here.
Ask yourself this....would you trust ...even a real doctor to make the decision to operate or not based just on the information you have provided in this thread? I would hope not.
Instead of asking this group if you are smart or dumb...why not go back to your doctor and ask him/her to list all of the positive reasons why you whould have the surgery....what are the negative....what is the expected outcome....what are the long term effects.....what are the long term side effects.....will this cure you....willl you need it again.....if it was his father or son would he do the surgery at this point on them or would he try other treatments. The most important question...IMO....what happens if I don't have the surgery....what are my non-surgical alternatives.
Then you choose and no one has to choose for you
I am fairly new to this disease and have surgery scheduled for May 11th. I feel your mind is racing and can sympathize with that. I lay awake at night thinking but have never been the best sleeper.
I do not take pain meds and other than Prednisone when initially diagnosed have only been on Methotrexate and was not on any meds for some time.
Initial GI thought surgery when they first discovered a stricture in my sigmoid colon, Called in surgeon at time of procedure. Over the last 18 months I have had four colonoscopies, three sigmoidoscopies, CT Scan , SBFT and most recent endorectal ultrasound. I have consulted with 6 GI's and four surgeons mostly because they cannot believe I do not have any symptoms. I do not have pain, bleeding, diarrhea or nausea. I have not lost weight and do not have fatique. I do watch my diet somewhat and do not have a lot of stool at times.
Why am I having surgery? I believe I have been tested enough , have researced constantly since being diagnosed, read this forum almost daily and my doctors and I have collectively come to this decision. My stricture is deep scar tissue, it is not going to go away, I do not want to be on Remicade (which was the other option before) when I am not having any symptoms.
There has been active Crohn's at the stricture site for the entire time but only there. Someone posted that they would want to know how much disease activity was going on before sugery.
I may be overly optimistic but I am otherwise healthy now, cutting it out will get rid of the stricture plus inflammation, at least temporarily, and I do not have to worry about cancer within the sticture and possibly reduce the risk of cancer. Planned surgery with colorectal surgeon I trust, I like my present GI who has never pushed meds or surgery before but highly recommended it after he referred me for an internal ultrasound. They all know how hard a decision this is for me.
So not everyone is going to agree but thought I would reply to your question whether or not it was stupid to consider surgery.
As some people have replied also that there are others who have the surgery and you never hear from them again. I have three friends with Crohn's. One has had two rescetions and suffers a lot, the other had a resection 20 years ago and has had no probelms and no meds since.