Of course your surgeon will say to do it. If I would have listened my surgeon I would have had the surgery 5 years earlier with my first total obstruction and would probably be on number 2 by now. I would listen to my GI and ask him why he doesn't want you to have the surgery or even get a second opinion. My GI very, very strongly suggested that I have the surgery and insisted I did it at Cleveland Clinic. I tried to have it locally and he threw a fit, he actually called Cleveland himself when I was at my appointment. And I am glad I waited a bit and had it done there.
It is a very hard decision, but all in all, I"m glad I had it done. Good luck!!
Dx'd with Crohns 1984 and polycystic kidney disease in 1996
Bowel Resection surgery 2006, Now on Asacol, folic acid, and Enalapril,