I will find a way or make one. –Phillip Sidney 1554-1586
All that I am and all that I shall ever be, I owe to my Angel Mother.
The Bucket List- Have you found joy in your life? Has your life brought joy to others?
Make sure your suffering has meaning…
I think I agree with everyone else on this. If you get your insurance through an employer and you have never had a lapse in coverage (usually considered to be about 60 days without insurance) than most of the insurance companies cannot penalize you for the pre-existing conditions. That being said, if you do not get your insurance through your employer or HAVE had a lapse in coverage, be prepared for them to not cover anything related to your Crohn's or stuff that their "medical experts" can claim is related to the Crohn's.
It's normally much, much cheaper to use insurance and pay either your co-pay or your co-insurance (depending on your plan) for the types of medications we take. My insurance covers 80% of my med costs and I pay the other 20% within a minimum and maximum that they have established (my insurance requires me to use the mail order pharmacy which is a lot of crap...it's more expensive for me, but my insurance is through UPS and they are the ones who get paid to ship the meds, so it all goes to them). But, my insurance won't cover stuff like the syringes to give myself methotrexate, so you may still find that there are some things you pay full price for.
Just to give you some extremes...UPS used to have great, cheap insurance and my husband could cover myself and him for FREE to us (now it's crappy insurance and costs over $1800 a year for us). My parents, on the other hand, have their own business which is considered "high risk" because they do construction. Their insurance is about the same each month (I think she said $1400 or $1600 a month) as mine is for a year!