Remicade and Cold/Sniffles question?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Iram
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 145
   Posted 10/7/2009 8:53 PM (GMT -7)   
I have been away from this site for a little bit, but it does not mean that I am okay. Testing, doctors, testing, and more testing...another post for this another day. At any rate I have a different question:

I am scheduled for my first Remi infusion on Friday (first time after suffering from CD for 7 years now officially). Anyway, the two weeks I have been fighting off a mild cold and sore throat, nasal drip, etc. I am normally back to my feet quickly, but this time it is slow, maybe the years of prednisone has done its damage.

Anyway, my question is would you start on Remi immediately or wait another week to get the cold completely off my back. Any advice will be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

pimfram
Veteran Member


Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 506
   Posted 10/7/2009 9:02 PM (GMT -7)   
I don't think a cold is enough to delay an infusion. I don't remember ever being told what reasons would warrant delaying an infusion, but I'm guessing a high fever or active infection would do it, but that is just my guessing. I'd give the clinic/hospital you're getting the infusion a call and tell them you've got a cold right now, and see if it's alright to get your Remicade.
Diagnosed with CD July 2007
Currently on Remicade, Imuran, probiotics, folic acid, multivitamin.

Amor fati - Nietzsche


Iram
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 145
   Posted 10/7/2009 9:36 PM (GMT -7)   
Thank you Pimfram, I will give a call first thing in the morning. I have already put this off one week, so...

chroniemomx2
Veteran Member


Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 2346
   Posted 10/8/2009 6:53 AM (GMT -7)   
I have to fill out a questionaire every infusion that asks me questions about how I'm feeling...loke sore throat, drainage, runny nose...so more than likely you should delay it especially if it has been hanging around. Especially since you are just starting your infusions. You will get one and then 2 weeks later another and then 4 weeks later another one...so personally I wouldn't want to start that schedule with a cold already. Better to be safe.

Iram
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 145
   Posted 10/8/2009 7:27 AM (GMT -7)   
Yeah, that is my thinking also, but I have been putting it off, so...tough decision...

Iram
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 145
   Posted 10/9/2009 7:55 AM (GMT -7)   
hello all, I just wanted to drop a note give everyone an update. My GI moved the infusion by more week and thankfully because my cold/cough/sniffles got worse yesterday. It seems like it is going to be another two weeks before I get to the remi.

chroniemomx2
Veteran Member


Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 2346
   Posted 10/9/2009 8:16 AM (GMT -7)   
That's good. I know you are eager to get the remi going but getting remi while you have an active infection is nothing to mess with.

Chasity102304
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 165
   Posted 10/9/2009 12:15 PM (GMT -7)   
My GI's office doesn't put off an infusion unless I have had fever within 2 weeks. Everyoe is differnt though. Since remicade seems to hit me pretty hard for 2-3 days afterwards I would put it off myself if I was feeling that bad.
Fibromyalgia DX March 2003
Crohn's DX Jan 2006 (Symptoms since 96-Misdiagnosed as "female" problems-Major flare during pregnancy in 05 which lead to DX)
1st resection July 2007
Currently on Remicade/8 weeks


Iram
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 145
   Posted 10/9/2009 6:33 PM (GMT -7)   
The irony of the whole thing is that for a long time I was avoiding biologics, now I am eager to get to it, but I can't. I guess I have reached a point where you basically say okay great I am willing to step up to the next level, what else is there. I guess better to have the cough and cold before the remi than after the remi.

frogeleita
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 342
   Posted 10/11/2009 12:10 AM (GMT -7)   
I just got my infusion the other day and i had a tiny cold..i have had no problem

 Crohn's anal fistula Lupus Hyperthyroid..Pentasa Remicade

 

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, December 10, 2016 2:12 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,735,781 posts in 301,335 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151435 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Manny222.
146 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
TOOTY, Heatheranne87, Hibee, ebinoase


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer