How long after bowel resection did you wait to resume Remicade?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Gutsy22
New Member


Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 7
   Posted 12/28/2009 3:20 PM (GMT -7)   
I had surgery dec. 18th and my GI wants to get me back on Remicade ASAP. I am worried this might slow my healing process.  When my surgeon discharged me from the hospital he told me to resume all meds but
remicade.  Anyone else have any experience with this?

beca123
Regular Member


Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 224
   Posted 12/28/2009 6:11 PM (GMT -7)   
I am not on Remicade but I am on Humira. I had a resection on Oct 6 and then had 5 abscesses removed on Oct 17. I am just now starting my Humira again, my doc didnt want to start it too early but at the begining of Dec I went to the hospital with horrible stomach pain and they did an mri and said that my Crohns was coming back so...maybe they waited too long? idk. Good luck though. Hope you had a great Christmas!!!
20 yr old female, dx'd in 02, struggled for a year with controlling this retarded disease. Finally got on Remicade(miracle drug for me-at the time) was in remission until summer of 09. Remicade stopped working, switched to Humira. Had my first surgery, half the colon and some of the small intestine removed. developed abscesses. it was messy. Currently on no Crohns meds, going to probably start the Humira again soon.
 
 
 


lenagirl
Regular Member


Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 44
   Posted 12/28/2009 7:50 PM (GMT -7)   
I just had a resection on the 21st and am still waiting to schedule my next Remicade infusion and would like to hear what others have to say, but I can tell you what my doctors said. I have a two-week follow-up with the surgeon next week. I have an appointment with my GI one week after that (so 3 weeks after the surgery) and if the surgeon has said everything looked good at the follow-up, I'll restart my Remicade then. All told, that means it will probably be at least about a month. In the hospital, the surgeon told me that they do usually like to leave a substantial enough window that there's not much risk of issues with the wound healing, so at least a few weeks, but that it was up to my GI as to when exactly to resume.

I'm actually on Imuran as well (I was in the process of switching from Imuran to Remicade when I needed to get an emergency resection due to repeated obstructions), which they resumed a week after surgery, so I'm not as worried about leaving a slightly longer window before getting my next Remicade infusion. Also, it may be worth noting that my surgeon was fine with restarting Imuran, which is an immunosuppresant, as little as one week after the resection. If you're concerned, you could call your surgeon to get a second opinion about what your GI suggests.
21 years old, diagnosed with CD at age 18,
First major flare since diagnosis started in Nov. 08. Still recovering and mostly stable, but having trouble tapering Pred.

Current Meds:
Prednisone 12.5 mg, Azathioprine 100 mg (started 5/03/09, think it may be starting to kick in), Asacol, and Rowasa
Plus Vancomycin and Florastor for a recurring case of c diff.

Post Edited (lenagirl) : 12/28/2009 8:33:51 PM (GMT-7)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, December 05, 2016 1:51 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,733,106 posts in 301,083 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151235 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, johndoss.
389 Guest(s), 15 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
BnotAfraid, trailguy, jliggett69, Gemlin, tickbite666, waterbee, jared16, johndoss, Mexlyme, Bosco, Meshawmama, Old Editor, Tall Allen, iPoop, LanieG


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer