My new Gi is adamant about me starting Remicade or Humira and I am not sure how I feel about it.
History- I have had digestive problems most of my like….constipation, diarria and just general problems. June 2008 I started to get very sick. 6 months of laxatives, diet changes, a few x-rays and blood tests, gaining 15 pounds then loosing 20 I went to the ER one night and the doc there referred me to a GI. My doctor finally agreed and I went for the normal borage of CT Scans, colonoscopy etc… and I was diagnosed in March of 2009 with Crohns. I had a short course of steroids which didn’t do much, tried Entecort, Pentasa, and a few other first choice meds. In May my pain was unbearable and was in a very specific spot so I went in for another CT \Scan which revealed an abscess and a small whole. My walls were inflamed to a point that was nearing blockage. In June 2009 I had a resection. After I healed from surgery I felt great! I have had my blood checked twice and my SED rate was really low and I hadn’t had even a small flare so it seemed I was good for now. 2 weeks ago I started a pretty bad one.
My new doctor (I have seen him twice now) says that my disease is progressing way to fast and I didn’t respond to previous treatment so he wants me to try a biologic. I know what a big decision this is and I want to be sure I am making the best choice. My argument is that by the time I was diagnosed my intestines were so damaged that the meds didn’t have much of a chance to work. I feel like maybe now a lower risk med might work. I haven’t tried 6MP or any other higher risk med. I told him this and he says that we might not have time to try other meds. If I wait and the disease progresses I might be looking at another surgery which I am not ok with until I don’t have another choice. I am awaiting on blood tests to come back to be sure I am even a candidate and also am scheduled for a CT Scan next week to see how bad the inflammation is so I have some time to decide but I need help. Is there any logic in my feeling like we should go back to the old meds first?