Does anyone know if there is a connection btwn. diverticulosis and crohns.....

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

ginger71
Veteran Member


Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 722
   Posted 8/16/2007 7:30 AM (GMT -7)   
Is there any relation? Possible incorrect diagnosis of diverticulosis if you have crohns?
Thanks,
Ginger


36 year old female. Dx'd and undx'd a few times. Was just redx'd again 04/2007.
History of rectal abscesses and fistulas (28 surgeries including abscess I & D, exploratory surgeries, 2 C-ton drains and 1 fistula plug) Count does not include self bursting abscesses.
1st Remicade infusion 6/5/07.  Lots of joint pain, and a new fistula since the 2nd infusion 6/19.
Praying I'll get better soon so we can have a baby.
Ginger :)


ZenaWP
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 884
   Posted 8/16/2007 7:46 AM (GMT -7)   
I've heard of someone incorrectly being diagnosed with crohn's when it turned out to be diverticulitis. I only know a little bit about it, but it almost killed my grandfather. The doctors didn't know why he was dying, so they decided to open him up to find out. The diverticulitis sacks had burst and it was spreading toxins throughout his body. It was a really bad surgery and it took him a very long time to recover (6 months before he'd even get out of bed). With the nature of the two diseases, I'd think it would be possible for doctors to confuse them early on. But, I don't know of any relation between the two (again, don't know a whole lot about diverticulitis or diverticulosis).
...rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverence; perseverence, character; and character, hope.   Romans 5:3-4


Mormor Vicky
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 684
   Posted 8/16/2007 8:03 AM (GMT -7)   
When I first went to the ER for a fistula to the bladder, exactly one year ago tomorrow, the doctor thought I had diverticulitis, even though I have a daughter with Crohn's. He said there were several things that can cause fistulas. He also said that he was 90% sure it was diverticulitis, 5% chance it was Crohn's and 5% chance it was Cancer. He said I would have to have a resection no matter what it was so I let him take care of it. It wasn't until he opened me up did he find Crohn's. So I guess it can be misdiagnosed.
Vicky / 47 years old
DX'd with Crohn's during a resection August 2006
DX'd with Steriod induced Diabetes November 2006
Considered in Clinical remission but have minor signs of disease activity
 
Daughter (26) also has Crohn's since she was 12.
 
Currently on 4000mg of Pentasa only for Crohn's
No longer able to take 6-MP because of Bone-Marrow Suppression


MikeB
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 1169
   Posted 8/16/2007 9:07 AM (GMT -7)   
There's probably not a direct connection. Diverticular disease hits about half of all people as they age past 50-60, but often is asymptomatic and causes no problems. The biggest contributing factor is lack of fiber in the diet. In that sense, a lot of CD patients avoid fiber in fear of obscructions, so it may be marginally more likely for them . . . but I doubt that there's anything about Crohn's itself that makes us more likely to get diverticulosis.

reynoldi
Regular Member


Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 244
   Posted 8/16/2007 9:07 AM (GMT -7)   
my great grandmothers case of diverticulitis eventually turned into a diagnosis of chrons. she had one resection then the diagnosis of crohns came. she had a mild case and now the great grandson (me) has a severe case of crohns. i can trace a route from my great grandmother to me through the generations and they are all affected by some sort of auto immune disease. grandmother: IBS mother:unconfimred rhemutoid arthritis. my theory is environmental triggers(whether it one or multiple i dont know) can act different on each person causing different illnesses. in short in think there (maybe) a correlation. pushing these types of questions on the doctors are the only way we are going to make advances quickly. they seem to shy away from talking about oragnisms that reside on our cell wall.

thanks pb4 for pointing out that is can also go the other way. as in no common trigger  but similar symptoms.

what type of bowel disorder does diverticulitis fall under?

 


"If thou wilt be observant and vigilant, thou wilt see at every moment the response to thy action. Be observant if thou wouldst have a pure heart, for something is born to thee in consequence of every action." -Rumi-
 
CD for 15 years diagnosed at age 11(i get the crohns cycle)

Post Edited (reynoldi) : 8/16/2007 11:36:40 AM (GMT-6)


ginger71
Veteran Member


Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 722
   Posted 8/16/2007 9:12 AM (GMT -7)   
My Dad just had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with diverticulosis. I don't know anyone else in my family with Crohn's so I was wondering if maybe they got his diagnosis wrong or if it could be related somehow.
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. :-)
Ginger


36 year old female. Dx'd and undx'd a few times. Was just redx'd again 04/2007.
History of rectal abscesses and fistulas (28 surgeries including abscess I & D, exploratory surgeries, 2 C-ton drains and 1 fistula plug) Count does not include self bursting abscesses.
1st Remicade infusion 6/5/07.  Lots of joint pain, and a new fistula since the 2nd infusion 6/19.
Praying I'll get better soon so we can have a baby.
Ginger :)

Post Edited (ginger71) : 8/16/2007 10:41:13 AM (GMT-6)


pb4
Elite Member


Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 20576
   Posted 8/16/2007 10:16 AM (GMT -7)   
Since they are 2 seperate diseases, there is no direct correlation but that is certainly not to say that a patient couldn't have both diseases because they could.

My MIL has diverticulosis and a few yrs ago ended up with a perforated bowel (she almost died as they kept sending her home telling her it was simply a stomach flu), she had to wear a bag for about a yr and then had it reversed...so there can be some common symtpoms of having crohns or diverticulosis but that doesn't mean that there is a direct correlation between them.


:)
My bum is broken....there's a big crack down the middle of it!  LOL  :)


belleenstein
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 1010
   Posted 8/16/2007 10:47 AM (GMT -7)   
Basically diverticulosis is a lifestyle disease. Caused by what we eat (don't eat) and how healthy our eating habits are.
Belleenstein:

30+ years living with Crohn's.


Aneedabeda
New Member


Date Joined Jul 2013
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 7/3/2013 8:05 PM (GMT -7)   
Can't find the email I wanted to reply to...but it was about Cipro and Flagyl and determining which one was causing headaches. It's the Flagyl. I have them too and they are pretty bad. This time I'm taking Bactrim with Flagyl and you have to take more Flagyl with Bactrim. I'm not looking forward to the headaches. I'd really like to know what causes these headaches, especially if it has anything to do with blood pressure. Anyone have a clue about this?

CrohnieToo
Veteran Member


Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 9448
   Posted 7/4/2013 10:37 AM (GMT -7)   
Aneedabeda, post a new thread to ask this question as I'm sure it will pretty much be lost from who would be interested or have answers or comments in this unrelated thread.
Crohn's symptoms began mid-1975; Dx'd at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, early 1976; resection of 18" mid-ileum early 1978; 20 year total remission; symptomatic remission 1998 to current.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

DaveF
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 1109
   Posted 7/4/2013 1:58 PM (GMT -7)   
So far I have been diagnosed with Chrohn's, slow bowel motility, SIBO, carbohydrate absorption, and diverticulosis (or whatever it is called when you have the pits in your lining, but no symptoms from them). So you can have both. I have no idea how long I have had the diverticulosis but I started eating super healthy 3 years ago. I might have had this condition before I started eating healthy, or it is not caused only by lifestyle. Very few eat more healthy than me (Low carb, Low FodMap, SCD).
Dx - Crohn's, Diverticulitis, SIBO, Carbohydrate Malabsorption, Slow Small Bowel Motility

Diet - SCD, Low FodMap, Low Carb

Current Drugs - Pentasa (3 x 500), LDN (4.5), Amitriptyline (25),

Past Drugs - Xifaxan (Rifaximin), Prednosone, Entocort, Cipro

Supplements - Vit D and B complex, fish oil and SCD multivitamin
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, December 07, 2016 5:38 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,734,004 posts in 301,165 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151301 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, BrisaMeadows.
260 Guest(s), 13 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Bui, THE HAPPY TURTLE, Joan M, Albannach, AngelsmamaDorseysdaughter, Smeadley, Hope4all, johndoss, Jay79, Bobby Mac, SharonZ, TiredOfIssues, straydog


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer