New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

megamax
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 217
   Posted 10/3/2007 9:38 PM (GMT -7)   
does anybody have crohn's and IBS at the same time...if so, how do you differentiate between the two?
 
 
thank you
 
jackie
Megamax
 
 
35 yrs female, dx with crohn's on july 13th 07 increasing my  entocort 9mg 6mg tappering off . starting imuran 250 mg had a allergie reaction  can no longer take it  pariet ,dx with depression in 2002 ,effexor tappering off, welbutrin,resperidal and lemotrogine.
 
 


gachrons
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 4527
   Posted 10/4/2007 7:41 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi Jackie I had a IBS DX for 27 years before CD DX .I really haven't thought about IBS much since getting CD. I don't have the pains now I used to have just got off pred. so will see how it goes. I had D for most of those 27 years.The treatment for Cd seems to have helped me so far. I follow low roughage diet I think it has helped me with both problems. One thing I learned while having IBS from a DR. was not to wait when I need to have a BM but to go to the bathroom as soon as I feel the urge. That has helped me.I guess I don't really try to look for a difference.I have had more solid BM's this last year then I had in 27 years. I am now on Imuran and Remicade so will see how things go. lol gail

immunosci
Regular Member


Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 326
   Posted 10/4/2007 8:47 AM (GMT -7)   
I saw my gastro last week. I've been complaining about constipation for months now. We tried the Metamucil and Citrucel, then Miralax. He's finally decided that I have IBS on top of the Crohn's because of the switch from diarrhea to more normal and now to constipation. He said that some times people with CD that have gone into remission from meds end up having a functional problem left from the inflammation that was there previously. I don't know how true that is. I think that my CD is still mildly active based on pain. He says that the pain is probably from backed up stool. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Jen
-Formal diagnosis of Crohn's Disease in ileum in July 2005.
-Experienced what were most likely flares for 12-15 yrs.
-6-MP, protonix, cymbalta, wellbutrin, trazadone, miralax, allegra, celebrex


bluemeanies
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 1372
   Posted 10/4/2007 8:54 AM (GMT -7)   
My gi said I had IBS and crohn's for years. Turns out it was the Pentasa making me sick and not IBS. I no longer see that gi for the crohn's.
 


pb4
Elite Member


Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 20576
   Posted 10/4/2007 11:05 AM (GMT -7)   
My GI also suspected I have IBS along with my CD...mainly I guess because of my complaints of symptoms, although symptoms are almost identical, when he scoped me and saw that I did infact have some inflammation still present in my colon, he felt that my symptoms were too severe for the amount of inflammation I had for it to be the CD alone...

He also said that it's not uncommon for IBDers who've been flaring continuously over yrs to develop IBS as well because of functional problems that CD (IBD) can cause over time, especially the more flares you have or lengthy flares and severity.

:)
My bum is broken....there's a big crack down the middle of it!  LOL  :)


megamax
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 217
   Posted 10/4/2007 8:18 PM (GMT -7)   
Thank you for your response.....I have mild case of crohn's but I have lots of pain, so I am wondering if I have IBS on top of crohn's... I see the GI on oct.16th I will ask him then...


thanks
Megamax
 
 
35 yrs female, dx with crohn's on july 13th 07 increasing my  entocort 9mg 6mg tappering off now . starting imuran 250 mg had a allergie reaction  can no longer take it .  pariet ,dx with depression in 2002 ,effexor tappering off, welbutrin,resperidone and lemotrogine.
 
 


Mormor Vicky
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 684
   Posted 10/5/2007 7:45 AM (GMT -7)   
I have both IBS and Crohn's. The only reason I know is because I had all my disease colon removed last year but I still have bouts of d every week or so. I didn't know I had crohn's before my surgery. I always thought it was IBS. I do have trouble telling the two apart. I'll call my doctor if I have more then a week of "d".
Vicky / 47 years old
DX'd with Crohn's during a resection August 2006
DX'd with Steriod induced Diabetes November 2006
Considered in Clinical remission but have minor signs of disease activity
 
Daughter (26) also has Crohn's since she was 12.
 
Currently on 4000mg of Pentasa only for Crohn's
No longer able to take 6-MP because of Bone-Marrow Suppression
Cymbalta, Metformin, Lipitor


belleenstein
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 1010
   Posted 10/5/2007 9:08 AM (GMT -7)   
I'm not sure how I would categorize the "functional" issues that CD patients have, but I do not believe it should be classed as IBS. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. When there is no pathology to explain the pain, diarrhea, etc, then physicians call it IBS.

To describe the issues that long term crohn's patients deal with, even in remission, as IBS is to ignore the obvious. The bowel is permanently damaged from the accumulated insults inflicted by the disease and much of the surrounding tissue (and organs) are also damaged as a result of abscesses, fistulas and adhesions. After 30 years of active disease, three major surgeries, abscesses, fistulas, percutaneous drains, radiation, colonoscopies etc. I think it is a miracle that anything comes through and I do not intend to ever let anyone dismiss my symptoms as IBS. That label is used as a lable and as an excuse to give up investigating.
Belleenstein:

30+ years living with Crohn's.


Mormor Vicky
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 684
   Posted 10/5/2007 9:35 AM (GMT -7)   
Belleenstein, I had been told that IBS was just unexplained "d" so when I found out I had Crohn's I said to myself "Well, it's now been explained so I don't have IBS". But, the two GI I had since last year both said the "d" I was having could very easily be IBS and not crohn's since nothing was found in my last colonoscopy. I had half of my colon removed last year before I had a chance to consult a GI. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis which caused a fistula to my bladder. The colo-rectal surgeon said I was going to have to have a resection because of the fistula and to repair the bladder. He said he was 90% sure it was diverticulitis and 5% chance is Crohns and 5% chance it was cancer. The colonoscopy done at the time couldn't even get through my sigmoid. Since I had to have the surgery anyway I decided to find out what it was at that time instead of doing all the testing first. Looking back I probably should have waiting but because I hadn't consulted a GI I think the surgeon took all of my diseased area. Now I can't be for sure but everything I had read about IBS I'm leaning towards having IBS also. I've had "d" since I was 17 (now 47) but looking back the last 5-8 years it was getting worse and different. More accidents, more cramping, and lots more fatigue. I think that is when I developed Crohns and not at the age of 17.

I know that was a long rambling story but I now believe you can have both. Especially since about 30 million people are said to have IBS. I think that is the number, I can't believe all those people has something else wrong with them. From what I have read people with IBS has a more sensitive colon. That would explain me because I have never been able to stand people to brush my hair, or scratch my back, or rub my shoulders. I was always really sensitive and it hurt for some strange reason. So why not my colon?

I don't know for sure but it's just my opinion and thoughts on the issue.
Vicky / 47 years old
DX'd with Crohn's during a resection August 2006
DX'd with Steriod induced Diabetes November 2006
Considered in Clinical remission but have minor signs of disease activity
 
Daughter (26) also has Crohn's since she was 12.
 
Currently on 4000mg of Pentasa only for Crohn's
No longer able to take 6-MP because of Bone-Marrow Suppression
Cymbalta, Metformin, Lipitor


pb4
Elite Member


Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 20576
   Posted 10/5/2007 11:04 AM (GMT -7)   
I agree with you mormor vicky :)

My GI is one of the top lead researchers in Canada for IBD and when he felt that my symptoms were too severe for the amount of inflammation I had for it to be the CD alone then it made sence to me that one could have both IBS and IBD

He also said that it's not uncommon for IBDers who've been flaring continuously over yrs to develop IBS as well because of functional problems that CD (IBD) can cause over time, especially the more flares you have or lengthy flares and severity...isn't something that can be ignored, besides which, just because a person suffers with one type of bowel problem does not mean they definitely cannot suffer with other ones...there is no law or ryhme or reasoning when it comes to health issues.

:)
My bum is broken....there's a big crack down the middle of it!  LOL  :)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, December 09, 2016 4:41 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,735,236 posts in 301,285 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151390 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Clauddfin.
263 Guest(s), 8 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
George_, BreRosie, SpecialLady, Loutucky, getting by, Dan Embrey, Southern Comfort, Traveler


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer