Ok, here it is in brief: the top four in accuracy with very good ratings in repeatability and convenience are
1. Accu-Chek Compact Plus (score 79 out of 100)
2. Accu-Chek Aviva (score 78)
3. TRUEResult (Walgreens) (score 75)
4. Bayer Breeze 2 (score 74)
These received an excellent rating in accuracy and very good in repeatability and convenience. Most have those additional perks like downloading the info to your PC; some have a cartridge for loading the test strips for convenience.
The article suggests not to focus on the price tag of the meter (from $9 for Walmart's ReliOn to $84 for OneTouch UltraSmart). These rated # 7 and #13 respectively. We need to consider the cost of the test strips, something we already know! Looking down the list of the 17 meters, the ones with the least expensive test strips are the ReliOn meters and TrueTrack (#16). CR based this cost per year on using four test strips a day.
An interesting note is that the OneTouch UltraSmart received an excellent rating in accuracy but only good in repeatability and convenience which is why it wasn't in the top four above.
The others with accuracy in parentheses:
5. FreeStyle Freedom Lite (excellent) (score 70)
6. TRUE2go (Walgreens) (very good) (score 69)
7. ReliOn Confirm (very good) (score68)
8. One Touch Ultra 2 (very good) (score 66)
9. ReliOn Micro (excellent) (score 65)
10. One Touch UltraMini (very good) (score 64)
11. FreeStyle Lite (excellent) (score 63)
12. ReliOn Ultima (very good) (score 62)
13. OneTouch UltraSmart (excellent) (score 58)
14. Bayer Countour USB (good) (score 54)
15. Nova Max Plus Advanced Tech. (good) (score 54)
16. TrueTrack (very good) (score 53)
17. Bayer Contour ( good) (Mine!
) (score 52)
Accuracy put the meters ahead of others but they lost points if their repeatability and convenience weren't also as good.
CR says they compared these models with a standard laboratory analyzer and they had a panel of 6 people with diabetes rate their convenience.
Laniediabetes moderatordiabetes type 2 controlled so far by diet and exercise
very low carb way of eating
Post Edited (LanieG) : 10/8/2011 12:29:08 PM (GMT-6)