This is my first post here so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm...
- a Type 1
- on NovoRapid for meals and,
- for the past few weeks, on Levemir: 12 units, twice/day. Prior to Levemir, I was on Lantus the past year (20 units 1xday).
- diagnosed Type 1 January'05
- originally diagnosed Type 2, June'04 - was on Avandia, Actos, Glyburide, Metformin in ever increasing doses until I was on maximum-dose-triple-therapy (and, in retrospect, hypoglycemic for years prior to that).
I've been classified "brittle" by all my doctors/educators because despite my Herculean efforts this past year and a half...I've yet to get my BGLs "controlled". I'm unpredictable. A1Cs are stuck in the high 9's. I've had so many changes to regimen (carb/insulin ratios, "fix" dose ratios, background insulin dose, etc), been hand-held by my educator the whole time, keep immaculate logs and diaries, spend hours analyzing the data (I do that for a living, too), and we can't figure me out. All changes were incremental and controlled so we could keep track of changes but still no patterns ever emerged. Having the same morning numbers and eating the exact same breakfast two days in a row has yet to produce a post-prandial reading that didn't vary from like 5.0 to 14.7. Frustrating!
My current adventure with Levemir had me not showing much (if any) improvement in BGLs the first couple of weeks. Now for the past few days...I can't stop going hypo! As a matter of fact, I just took my 2 hour post-meal test 10 minutes early 'cause I felt the shakes coming on (as I was typing here), and sure enough, it was 3.2(55-ish). Sigh, sometimes I feel like I'm on the rollercoaster ride through Hell. I know I'll get it figured out. One day.
Before I go off on a rant already
I just wanted to say "Hi", and introduce myself. From many of the posts I've read here, folks (moderators) seems to be very supportive and knowledgable. I hope you won't mind a few questions coming soon? I also hope that I can be as helpful and supportive with answering some as well. Talk to you soon.
- Phishbowl (Type 1 since Jan'05 - Levemir, NovoRapid)
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." -- Talmud