New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 26
   Posted 8/8/2005 9:29 AM (GMT -6)   
Just spoke to my son's regular Neuro.. She told me to no longer give him his Depakene.Not only is his Depakene level high ,but now his seriem(?sp)amonia level is 141..I was told the normal range for this is 20-40..She was going to talk with another doctor and get back to me about what the next step is..I am soo scared,confused stressed, name it..My son is not able to eat.Has been drinking very little.And it just soo out of it..Any word's of advice would greatly be appreciate..Thanks
 for all the support..If you guy's can think of anything I should be doing,or asking please let me know..
Thank's soo much

Thanks and HAVEGreat DAY!!


Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 585
   Posted 8/8/2005 5:07 PM (GMT -6)   
I am so sorry this happened with your son! We never had high amonia level, tested for it once when Depakote was causing severe vomiting for my son. Hoping that it will drop ok with the med lowering! I know it is so scary when you have to stop a med!

Did that doc call back? If she did not, I would call, even if it is the on call doctor you speak to. I know when we had an allergic reaction to another med he had to go off for a week.

Your son, being at a high level will have some seizure control for awhile before he runs out of it in his system. The doc or pharmacist can explain this better.

Hang in there. So scary! Hoping he is doing better soon!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 662
   Posted 8/8/2005 5:34 PM (GMT -6)   


Excellant advice from Mandee. I agree that you should definately speak (or e-mail) Jennifer, she's been through this.

I only have experiences from an adult point of view.


Diagnosed with epilepsy and ulcerative colitis in 1979,
Been on meds ever since.

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 26
   Posted 8/8/2005 6:43 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks,so much everyone..We just got back from the neuro office and going for more lab-work..This time we are re-doing the Metabolic Lab work to rule out a METABOLIC DISORDER..We have already been down this road be4,but with his Amonia level being 141..They said that the Depakene alone will not cause it to go sky high like this..So they are leaning towards a Metabolic disorder once again..They are going to schedula a 24 hour EEG,and also have him see an Pedia Optamologist..I will update as I know more..They are now starting him on Topamax..I hope to see improvement with this medicine..If anyone has ever been on this be4,Please let me know how you did..I know everyone react's different to med's..
Thank's soo much everyone.I really appreciate all the advice..It's good to know that their are other people out there who are experiencing the same and who care..

Thanks and HAVEGreat DAY!!


New Member

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 6
   Posted 8/15/2005 12:22 AM (GMT -6)   


Drinking is *really* important for anyone taking medications (kidneys need to break down and eliminate medications through urination). I don't know how old your child is but if a toddler or older, check with your physician about using "pedilyte" flavored ices for children. I think they are available over the counter in the pharmacy and I would think would be available "on line" in more flavors and possibly cheaper by the case. Sometimes it's easier to get fluids in kids with these (for any reason <G>).

I have no idea, medically, what's going on with your son. Asking for details from your physician or a nurse clinician working with your physician is essential. I *do* know that even though I wasn't maintaining a therapeutic level of Tegretol in my blood stream, I became toxix on the metabolytes (building blocks of tegretol that the tegretol was initially broken down into in the first step of my body using and eliminating the med). It did cause many of the symptoms you describe.

The reason I'm mentioning it is because when the tegretol was discontinued, these symptoms subsided as my body broke down the remaining medication in my system, over the following days. It will pass...

I had to stay hydrated and avoid medicine that "took priority" in my body's hierarchy of breaking down meds. For example, I became toxic on tegretol when given Darvocet, because in my body, until the Darvocet was eliminated, the tegretol kept circulating and building up with each dose. There are very specific drugs that interfere with blood levels of anticonvulsants and elimination.

I'm not saying this is what's going on, but do know that if the discontinued medicine is causing your son's condition it will steadily improved over the next few days.

Really try and get your son to drink. Any creative way to get fluid into him is essential

ice cream is good... adding even a little water to cereal, italian ices, any way you can. It is amazing how much better the body does what it needs to do with proper hydration.

Don't know if any of that helps and always check with your doctor before doing anything


First Light


New Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 7
   Posted 10/31/2007 5:43 AM (GMT -6)   
Hello everyone, my friend has been prescribed Depakene to treat the seizure disorders he suffers from but he is worried since he has read these side effects of Depakene:
• Hallucinations
• Menstrual irregularities
• Depression and psychiatric problems
• Anemia
• Rashes
• Unexplained bleeding or bruising
• Double vision
• Allergic reactions
• Weight gain
• Headache
• Allergic reactions
Is there anyone who has used this medicine or you know someone who is taking it?
Tell me should he take the risk and take the medicine.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, October 24, 2016 4:03 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,710,929 posts in 298,940 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 153505 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Henddawn.
176 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
bluelyme, BillyMac

Follow on Facebook  Follow on Twitter  Follow on Pinterest

©1996-2016 LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer