Well, Alaina (20 Months old) has been on Keppra now for 2.5 weeks. I called the dr on Monday and told him that she was still hving seizures maybe even more often and that her sleep pattern was erratic. (waking up thru the night, not going back to sleep) Well I stayed home Monday and Tuesday waiting to hear back. Well of course while I was out on Weds. he called and left a message saying that he wanted to change her to Topamax.
When I got the message 2 hours later I called back and left a message saying that I was sorry that I missed his call but that i would appreciate a call back from him because I would like to speak to him before changing meds......Well, that was more than 24 hrs ago and still no call.
I don't know if I should go ahead and start the Topamax tonight or not.
In your opinion was 2 weeks enough time to give Keppra to work? I might add that the first week she was on .5 ml twice a day. The second week it was increased to 1 ml twice a day. I saw a little bit of behavior change but nothing intolerable. From what I understand both amounts were small for this drug. (she is about 23 lbs)
I wanted the Keppra to work sooo bad. It seems to have the least side effects. Now this Topamax seems to have alot more side effects such as weight loss. I couldn't imagine her losing weight.
A friend of mine takes it for migraine and she said it makes her slow feeling. If you remember from my first post Alaina has Down syndrome. With the developmental delays that come with Ds she doesn't need a drug that will slow her more.
I have to say I feel so uninformed about this whole diagnoises. Now to not be able to get in touch with the dr or his assistant is very frustrating. I only want to do what is right for her.
Would it make since to try the Keppra one more week at a higher dose?
Any advise you could offer would be appriciated.