Hello. Thank you for the opportunity to post here.
I am not sure how short I am supposed to keep these posts but just to give you a brief snyopsis of my son:
Joe is very bright. Above average. Incredible athlete. 10 years old. Strong willed yet sweet as the day is long.
Joseph has been diagnosed with absence seizures. According to his latest EEG they have now progressed into a more generalized form of epilepsy. Our doctor admitted he would not be at all surprised if Joe started having grand mals. After I got over the feeling like I was kicked in the gut I asked what the plan of attack would be. Currently on Zarontin 750mg twice daily. Added Depakote along with that and it was a nightmare. Taken off depakote and now have added Lamictal. Seems to really be affecting his mood/behavior. Almost manic at times. Seizures are more frequent and very disoriented when he comes to. So a couple of questions I hope someone can shed some light on?
1. Does anybody have any experience with Lamictal?
2. Joe had an episode and when he came to he could not talk??? Normal??? (whatever normal is these days) He would only shake his head yes and no.
3. Does anybody have any experience with Zarontin?
4. Advice coping with his mood/behaviour changes? Mainly anger.
5. Any advice for a mother of 4 trying to hold the family together while we get my sweet boy back on track?
I am currently looking for support groups in my area.(Annapolis, MD) We see a GREAT doctor at The Johns Hopkins Pediatric Epilepsy Center but am hoping that someone out there can lead me in the right direction! Thank you all!