A long time ago we had a list of the most common fibromyalgia symptoms and it became buried and loaded with posts, several pages of them. So I am re-posting the list since it is a comprehensive one. This list was compiled by a friend/member of Healing Well named Radio. He also has listed this on his personal web page.
I hope you find this list useful and for me and many others is also can give you a sense of relief. That feeling that you are NOT crazy or weird but what you are feeling is this darn disorder, Fibromyalgia. Please remember though that if you have a new symptom that is on the list the first thing you should do is report it to your doctor. It is likely part of fibro, but only the doctor will know for sure.
1. PAIN- in the muscle: often described as aching, burning, throbbing, gnawing, shooting, tingling. Almost always exacerbated by exercise and may or may not be present at rest. Can be migratory and differing from day to day.
2. FATIGUE- From feeling tired to exhausted and requiring rest periods during the day.
3. SLEEP DISTURBANCE- not being able to fall asleep and or able to stay asleep. Unrefreshing sleep patterns " feels like I haven't slept."
4. PARESTHESIA- numbness or tingling. ( non dermatomal)
5. DEPRESSION- most often reactive as with chronic pain condition.
6. ANXIETY- may include panic attacks.
7. PERSONALITY CHANGES- usually a worsening of a previous tendency.
8. MOOD SWINGS
9. SUBJECTIVE SWELLING OF EXTREMITIES- i.e. feels swollen but no-one can find anything.
10. HEADACHES- tension and or migraine.
11. COGNITIVE FUNCTION PROBLEMS: calculation difficulties, memory disturbances, spatial disorientation, difficulty with concentration, short
term memory loss.
12. FREQUENT UNUSUAL NIGHTMARES- or being unable to dream.
13. DYSTONIA- stiff muscles due to involuntary contracture. Difficulty in moving tongue to speak.
14. FREQUENTLY SAYING WRONG WORDS
15. BURNING SENSATIONS
16. LIGHT HEADEDNESS- "Fibro Fog", spaced out, cloudy.
17. MORNING STIFFNESS
18. EASY BRUISING
19. MILD BUTTERFLY RASH- (LUPUS TYPE) May be photo sensitive.
20. NEUROGENIC INFLAMMATION- rashes, may be severe itching. NI causes the symptoms and signs of Dermatographia.
21. DISEQUILIBRIUM- Vertigo
22. MUSCLE WEAKNESS- variable with no "objective" abnormality to formal testing.
23. SCIATICA- like pain
24. PHOTOPHOBIA- Intolerance of bright lights.
25. ALTERATION OF TASTE, SMELL and HEARING.
26. LOW FREQUENCY, SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS.
27. DECRESED PAINFUL SOUND THRESHOLD.
28. TINNITUS- ringing in the ears.
29. OCCASIONAL EXAGGERATED NYSTAGMUS- involuntary rapid movementof the eye ball.
30. CHANGES IN VISUAL ACUITY- impaired function of the smooth muscle used for focus as well as skeletal muscles for tracking.
31. INTOLERANCE OF ALCOHOL
32. ENHANCEMENT OF MEDICATION SIDE EFFECTS
33. INTOLERANCE OF PREVIOUSLY TOLERATED MEDICATIONS
34. WEIGHT CHANGES- usually gained due to the lack of exercise through pain and or tricyclic antidepressants
35. RESTLESS LEGS
36. HEIGHTENED AWARENESS- of symptoms of HYPOGLYCEMIA 9 when blood sugar falls)
37. POSSIBLE CARBOHYDRATE INTOLERANCE
38. SYMPTOMS OF IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME (I.B.S.)
39. HEARTBURN- secondary to I.B.S.
40. SUB-NORMAL TEMPERATURE
41. NIGHT SWEATS.
42. SENSITIVE TO TEMPERATURE EXTREMES
43. HEART PALPITATIONS
44. BREATHING DIFFICULTIES
45. HEART MURMUR-Mitral Valve Prolapse appears to be more symptomatic in FM than normal.
46. IMPOTENCE- reactive and occasionally.
47. SEVERE PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME
48. FREQUENT VAGINAL YEAST INFECTIONS.
49. MUSCLE SPASM- twitching.
50. NON-CARDIAC CHEST PAIN- which may simulate cardiac disorder.
51. PELVIC PAIN.
52. ABDOMINAL WALL PAIN.
53. DRY EYES AND MOUTH.
54. TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DISORDER- usually due to abnormal muscle tone.
55. RAYNAUD'S- like symptoms.
56. CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME-possible related condition.
57. HAIR LOSS-secondary to psychological stress from FM.
58. VULVODYNIA- Vulvar discomfort or pain, burning, stinging and irritation.
59. PLANTAR ARCH-or heel pain. Exacerbated in FM.
This list of symptoms has been correlated by the Arthritis Foundation S.A.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
(> <) Co-Moderator Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Forums
Fibromyalgia, PTSD, UC, Diabetic on insulin, collapsed disk, arthritis scattered around and a few other delights.
Post Edited (Chutz) : 1/18/2010 9:46:22 PM (GMT-7)