I decided to start a new post on this "TIPS" issue, as my last one was (dumbly and accidentally) labeled 'no subject'.
Anyone interested can reference that old post to see what our situation was last week.
I took hubbie to his hep dr. (we go to Rush University hospital in Chicago) on Tuesday, for a check up after his horrible hospital stay last week.
As you might remember, at that time my husband was under the care of the Transplant Team and the had him placed on the Transplant Floor. (A lot of false hope came from that!)
The Transplant Team had decided that hubbie is going to have to have the "TIPS" procedure, as the fluid retention /acites had entered his lung area (they drained off 4 liters from his lung sac). They are concerned about an infection in his lungs if this continues.
But, they released him and told him "next time".
Back to Tuesday and our hep dr. visit;
He told us 'no way' would he allow them to do the "TIPS" on hubbie. He said it is too late for hubbie to have it. He explained that this procedure, which 'bypasses' blood past the liver, could and very likely would at this late stage, cause hubbie to go into complete liver failure.
Hep dr. wants us to continue on the path we are on, with all the meds and the draining of the fluids (even if it becomes a weekly hospital stay) until we reach the level of actual transplant.
I am not a medical type person. I am not even medically 'saavy'. I keep blinking and scratching my head and trying to absorb all that is happening to us.
But, I have to tell you, I was relieved to hear that we are not going to do the "TIPS" procedure. Call it a gut reaction or call it a premonition or call it a misconception or call it whatever you want - I am relieved about it.
Just as information to all.... and also for the good feeling of 'venting'....