Hi, Lucyloo, and welcome to the forum! I don't know much about autoimmune hepatitis (I have hep C), but there are a couple of people on here who do have AIH. Hopefully, they will see your post and respond. All I can think is that your doctor is being conservative. She may think the lab results were an error, or that there is some other reason for the abnormal blood work. Therefore, she wants to wait and see what the next blood work looks like. Have you been put on medication for your hypothyroidism? Untreated thyroid disease can also make a person feel really sick.
Try doing a search of AIH on this forum, and some old posts should pop up.
Good luck to you!
Thank you Hep 93! Actually she has already re-run the blood work once - about a week apart from the initial bloodwork just to see if it was accurate - it was.
I'll check back to see if anyone else responds. Like I said, up until a couple of days ago, I had never even heard of something like this.
Thank you Luicy - now I get it. My GP is the one who is running the tests and I couldn't understand why she wasn't acting on this yet. BTW, I have Kaiser. I know I can be a tad anxious so I need to slow down at least for the next 4 weeks.
I'll check back in after the 4 week re-test. At that time, if it's still AI hep I will ask to see a specialist.
That sounds like a good plan, Lucy!
Good luck and be sure to let us hear from you after the retest!
I have had AIH for 1.5yrs. Mine was actually diagnosed quickly because my ALT was 848, AST was 748 and bilirubin, initially, was 9 but climbed to 23.3 in 2 weeks. So since it was a severe onset...it was a pretty quick diagnosis with blood tests about every 2 days to test for everything under the sun (since I was turning that color ). I was in to see a specialist 1 week after the jaundice and initial blood work was done and had a biopsy at the 2 week mark. I had started prednisone the night before the biopsy and responded very quickly.
So, I would say, from everything I have read on the illness, not to worry if they are waiting to retest. It appears that some people remain mild and don't have treatment right away. If your symptoms change whilst you wait....go back to your GP and either press the issue of seeing a hepatologist or request another blood test earlier.
Please keep us posted on how you are. You'll find this a great site with many supportive people.