Judith, since he qualifies for 3 more years, I would give it more time before accepting a "less than perfect" liver. I can well understand your husband being tired of feeling ill all the time, but if he can hold on a little longer, maybe he will get a better liver. Of course, that is just my opinion and he is the one who will have to make the ultimate decision, together with you and his doctor.
Thank you all for your imput and we don't have three years as my husband is actually 67 1/2 now. He has fatty liver and alcohol cirhossis and has been attending A.A. for the last six month's. He has an excellent team of doctors here and I have to trust that they wouldn't put him in any danger, my husband has survived prostrate cancer and is a real fighter but this disease has totally done a number on him. My feeling is that we should go for it even if it only give's him one good year it would be better than this.
He just wants this to be over with, he is so sick . He may also be participating in a encephalopathy study where he will receive free Rifaximin for the duration.
This is HELL on earth and it breaks my heart to see my man this way.
John, I somehow missed your post. I, too, will be praying for you on Tues. Good that the doc thinks it's treatable. It will give you something to focus on besides your liver.
Have been behind on reading the posts. I'm sending good vibbs your way. When all this is over we will take a ride in the GTO and you get to pick the music!!! That should be interesting.