New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

III
Regular Member


Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 91
   Posted 6/22/2007 6:40 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi
my sister might have to quit the shots her wbc is 3.3 does anyone know what could bring it back up??  She had only 7 shots......
Thanks
Eileen

wheredidigo
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 605
   Posted 6/22/2007 6:55 PM (GMT -7)   
Eileen, my husband had that problem, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the dr did to help him........her specialist should be able to do something for her so that she doesnt have to quit the shots,maybe lower the dosage?? (I am sorry, so much has happened with hubby since he was on the shots that I havent retained everything too well...only so much my brain can hold on to)
Trish 
Moderator for Hepatitis Forum  
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,chocolate in one hand,wine in the other,body used up ,totally worn out and screaming"WOOOOHOO WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance:)


hep93
Elite Member


Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 12014
   Posted 6/22/2007 8:54 PM (GMT -7)   
I had that same problem when I tried interferon A back in 93/94.  At first the doc cut the shots from 3 days a week to 2, and then tried cutting the dosage in half, but nothing worked to bring my wbc count back up.  Therefore, I was taken off treatment.  This was done twice, as I tried it again a few months later.  I was catching every cold and sore throat in my office.
 
Connie

III
Regular Member


Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 91
   Posted 6/23/2007 6:22 AM (GMT -7)   
Thanks, Trish and Connie...I'm the one that talked her into getting tested and she didn't want too. But she saw how I went through treatment and I wasn't tooo bad.....She feels like she isn't getting answers from her dr. which is gastro and liver dr and they deal with hep c too.  She didn't want to go to my doc which is only a hep doc. because it was more through a clinic....
 
She feels tho that she decided to do it and now she wants to continue and they are telling her if her wbc  goes down anymore she's done.....she is going to do blood work again Monday.
 
So I'm just trying to find some answers for her.....Don't they do blood transfusions if its to low???
What is milk thistle for???
 
She also had a biopsy of the liver when they took her gall bladder out and it showed stage 1 cirr from the hep not from drinking.....her v.load was 5 million mine was 8 million and I never had a biopsy my doc said I didn't need one...
 
It seems like all the docs have differnt outlooks on this.  It confuses me......
 
Any answers will help
Thank you all
Eileen
 
 

Post Edited ("I") : 6/23/2007 2:54:19 PM (GMT-6)


hep93
Elite Member


Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 12014
   Posted 6/23/2007 2:05 PM (GMT -7)   
Eileen, you are correct that different docs have different outlooks and approaches to hep C. I don't know about a transfusion of white cells...whether they would do that or not, or if it would make any difference. Milk thistle (weed) is a natural substance, in powder form (in a capsule) that is used by a lot of people with hep C, and some say it has cleared them of the virus. It didn't do anything for me, so I stopped taking it. It can be found in health food stores. Do some research on it first. The dosage will be higher to treat hep C than what is printed on the label. It will not raise WBCs, though.

If your sister has insurance, she might try switching to another hepatologist. Don't blame yourself--your sister needed to know. Now that she knows she has hep C, it is up to her to decide whether to treat it or not. After I found I couldn't take the interferon (combo was not yet available, was in trials), I chose to ignore my hep C. Though I was very tired all the time, and had to switch to part-time work, I did okay until 2 years ago when the cancerous liver tumor was found. After that, things went downhill rapidly. I had to have cancer treatment before I could undergo surgery, as the tumor was huge and had metastasized to the inferior vena cava. Praise God and Mayo, they were finally able to operate, but had to take the entire right lobe of my liver (as well as gall bladder.) I will be seeing a hepatologist next month, who is very knowledgeable in hep C. I need to find out if I can try treatment again. If not, I will just hope the left lobe keeps me alive for some years to come. If not, I will need a transplant. All of this is a result of not being able to continue with treatment or the willingness to try something new. In addition, I was found to have early cirrhosis in the left lobe (from the hep C.) All of this is to tell you what can happen if hep C is not treated. As stated in the beginning, your sister needs to see another hepatologist, if only as a "second opinion."

Hugs,
Connie

Post Edited (hep93) : 6/23/2007 3:29:12 PM (GMT-6)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, December 07, 2016 7:11 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,734,405 posts in 301,211 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 151329 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, OleMiss1990.
354 Guest(s), 10 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
whatdoigotDOC!, TOOTY, chrisp1, Huddie, time2reclaim, aloha234, The king, trumpet123, poopme, Annie88


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2016 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer