Welcome, Toni! I wrote a long post to you earlier and then lost it! I didn't feel like rewriting it. Anyway, the Danny Thomas charitable hospital is St. Jude's in (I think) TN. Your son may be past the age limit, but it never hurts to ask. Has he applied for Medicaid? If you have a local teaching hospital, you should at least be able to have the CT done there.
Continue to ask questions and to research hep C or whatever disease you know little about.
Toni, you received good advice as far as transferring to Tampa General. It's a better hospital. Four people on the transplant waiting list is excellent! For what it's worth, Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville has the shortest wait time in the state! I have hep C and did develop liver cancer. Because of the size of the tumor (12 cm at longest point) and the fact that it had metastasized to the inferior vena cava, they would not consider me for a transplant. I had two different types of specialized liver chemo, which shrunk the tumor and the metastasis, and made me eligible for surgery to remove the entire right lobe of my liver in mid-May of this year. I am still recovering, as I developed a hiatal hernia and am waiting for the okay to have that repaired. I was accepted by Mayo because I have Medicare as a primary insurance. I also qualified for their patient charitable help, in which they pay the balance of what Medicare doesn't cover 100%. I know they do not accept Medicaid as a primary insurance, nor do they accept any HMOs.
Do not give up! There is help available...you just have to find it! Good luck!
Post Edited (hep93) : 11/4/2007 12:16:03 AM (GMT-6)
Just wanted to update on whats going on? Will and I sat in the SSI office for 1hr.1/2 just for them to say his 900.00 a month income does not qaulify him for disability. However, we have another apt. in Nov. to try again as he's getting to tired and weak to work. Is this a sign of the bad times to come? Also, Medicaid does not qaulify him either as he makes to much and unfortunatly they said it could take up to 2 yrs. before they consider him medicaly needy? Do we have that much time? Talk with nurse yesterday to find out about transfering Will from Shand's to Tampa General, well, after her taking offence of suggesting such a thing she called today to say not no but, Will is one of their top priorety patients and they will do everything medically necessary for him. I'm still concerned with the nodule they found and CT they canceled but, Dr. says it is small and Dec. ultrasound will let us know if it has grown in 3 months. Do we want to wait that long? or should I atleast request it for earlier? Has this been a normal process for all in need of help? Just when I get a ray of sunshine it seems to turn gloomy again! Thanks for listning! Prayers and Thoughts to all!