Yes, pain like that is common. Do you have any other symptoms--like constipation or diarrhea or heartburn or anything like that? If it's just upper pain like that, that moves around, it may just be gas. Some people have it real bad, all the time. The usual things to do to help treat it are:
1) avoid gassy foods, like beans and raw vegetables
2) take anti-gas medicine, like Beano or Gas-X
3) consume probiotics regularly, like acidophillus milk, yogurt or take probiotic pills, like Digestive Advantage or Culturelle
4) take fiber (this often causes more gas to start with, but some peple find that after taking it a week or two, it regulates their system so well that most all of the gas--old and new--goes away).
4) drink teas, like peppermint, to release the gas (not for people with acid reflux). I think fennel is also an anti-gas tea
5) do some yoga to help release the gas
6) try charcoal caps to help absorb the gas (also not bad to take if your gas is stinky)