I follow a low residue diet and iceberg lettuce is on it. I know I can also tolerate romaine lettuce.
The type of salads that would probably give you trouble are the baby lettuces, fresh spinach, anything with the nuts, seeds, etc. In other words, the salads that upscale restaurants serve.
Also, I've heard that bagged salad (restaurants use this type) have additives to keep them fresh longer. So this additive might upset your GI tract too.
If you want salads, I would buy your own lettuce (iceberg, romaine possibly), wash it yourself. Skip bagged salads and salad mixes.
- Diagnosed with rectal cancer, April 1999 - Stage I, no treatment necessary
(5 hour colon resection: 90% sigmoid removed, 15 inches of colon removed, gall bladder removed, given temporary colostomy)
- Colostomy reversal, June 1999
- Left with IBS/D symptoms, multiple bm's every day
- On a low residue diet at least 75% of the time
- Takes Colace 50 mg each evening
All in all I do okay, I just use the bathroom A LOT! But I survived and beat cancer!