Here's my situation:
- I tend to get cold sores, on my nose of all places and another started today.
- My ENT doctor wrote me a generic script
for Valtrex (yes the pricey oral med for cold sores).
- I read online that D can be a common side effect to Valtrex.
- Given my history (part of my colon removed, chronic multiple bm's, tendency to have D unless I eat plain food, etc.), would you risk it and take this medication?
- I can always just topically treat the sore with Abbreva and swab the skin with Q tips dipped in peroxide (what I usually do but I've never tried Abbreva).
Thanks so much! I need to decide if I should even fill this prescript
ion. My gut is telling me not to risk it. I have an important social event tomorrow and of course I do work part time now. I just don't want full blown D to erupt while away from home.
*Edit* I'm leary of taking this powerful medication but will wait in hopes someone replies. Been reading side effects online and it's scary! I have a few hours to decide.
- Rectal CA 4/29/99, Stage I, 90% sigmoid/15" of colon/GB removed, temporary colostomy, reversed 6-26-99
- Chronic IBS/D symptoms, multiple bm's, on low residue diet
- Colace 50 mg + Nature's Way Primadophilus Bifidus, each evening
Post Edited (Marsky) : 4/21/2010 3:03:57 PM (GMT-6)