about 80% get about 80% better.
Why Consider Hypnosis Treatment for IBS?
by Olafur S. Palsson, Psy.D.
Hypnosis is only one of several approaches to treating irritable bowel syndrome and may not be the most suitable option for all patients (click here for discussion of treatment options for IBS). However, hypnosis treatment has some advantages which makes it an attractive option for many IBS sufferers with chronic and severe symptoms:
- It is one of the most successful treatment approaches for chronic IBS. The response rate to treatment is 80% and better in most published studies to date.
- The treatment often helps individuals who have failed to get improvements with other methods (see for example: Whorwell et al., 1984, 1987; Palsson et al., 1997, 2000).
- It is a uniquely comfortable form of treatment; relaxing, easy and generally enjoyable.
- It utilizes the healing power of the person's own mind, and is generally completely without negative side effects.
- The treatment sometimes results in improvement in other symptoms or problems such as migraine or tension headaches, along with the improvement in IBS symptoms.
- The beneficial effects of the treatment last long after the end of the course of treatment. According to research, individuals who improve from hypnosis treatment for IBS can generally look forward to years of reduced bowel symptoms.
It also can be long lasting which almost nothing in IBS treatments have to date.
On the IBS self help forum and heathers IBS forums are hypnotherapy forums I was involved with and first met Mike on the IBS self help group. I tried the tapes and they worked really well for me, the best thing I have ever done. I started working with him with websites, and started the HT forum on the IBS self help group. It was successful and started the one on Heathers forum. There are two success threads on each bb from people we have helped. Mike will also help if you need it and so will I. I have helped 1000's of people with the process. Now I just run one of the websites. I am also friend with the DR above, who works for the UNC center for functional gi and motility disorders and is one of the top HT and IBS specialists.
Take a look over the site. The program was the first of its kind to do at home. It has been very successful and people affectionately refer to them as "Mike's Tapes".
CBT and hypnotherapy successes
If you have questions about any of this let me know.
More professional info
IBS Forum Moderator
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.
Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.