Post Edited (Sister Sister) : 6/28/2008 3:47:56 PM (GMT-6)
1. My first clue was severe swelling in my ankles and legs, and I had been getting unexplained skin rashes for years. Later I had random pain moving around in a variety of places and severe memory problems.
2. I was 46 when my nephrologist first suspected lupus but was 48 when I was officially diagnosed.
3. I received a diagnosis very quickly. I went 2 years without an official DX because my biopsy wasn't 100% lupus and I really didn't have any other symptoms. As the symptoms built up I finally went to a rheumy and was given a DX almost immediately.
4.There is no family history of lupus or kidney disease.
5. I have some swelling and pain.
7. Flares can be triggered by stress, sunlight, lack of sleep etc..
8. I have nausea frequently and severe diarrhea off and on.
Hope this helps.
In His Grip
AlwaysRosie "We can't control the waves, but we can learn how to surf!!"
Co-Moderator - Lupus Forum
UCTD, Inflammatory Arthritis, Diverticulosis, (recent dx - Sjogrens, Crohn’s 4/08)
Clickable Links: Lupus Resources Lupous.Org Lupus Criteria (4 of 11) Lupus Chapter Locator
Hi Sisiter Sister,
Looking back my very first symptom was probably severe diarrhea with no known cause and unexplained skin rashes that appeared and disappeared in a matter of hours. When I started with kidney issues my nephrologist told me immediately he thought I had lupus. I thought he was nuts and never let him pursue it further....until I had so many symptoms show up I knew he was correct. I also have a positive ANA of 1:1280. I was lucky to get a DX so easily, it usually takes years, but my kidney biopsy was pointing strongly toward lupus and it made a big difference.
Clickable: LUPUS INFORMATION & LUPUS RESOURCES.
Co-Moderator: Lupus and CFS Forums
My present diagnosis is Undifferentiated connective tissue disorder and Im awaiting further tests with a specialist on the 17th July to see if it could be lupus which had been queryed and then found negative a whole ten years ago.
1. ) What do you think may have been your very first clue(s) that something wasn't right?-- My very bad reaction to parvovirus ten years ago- all joints swelled, temp very high, delirious, blood tests showed ANA Positive and increased plasma viscosity due to inflammation. Needed steroids to control the swelling and fight the fatigue etc once the joints began to heal.
a. Overall stiffening, such as in the morning or after sitting awhile? Now (Yes - mostly in legs and feet, sometimes lower back and neck area).Initially with that flare I couldnt move at all- my nack comletely seized - pushed out disc and I just was so swollen and sore.
b. Random pain in muscles/joints (moving around in a variety of places)? Now (Definiely yes - always aching somewhere! and it moves every five or six days. I occasionally get a day in between the next place starting up but its rare!) Everything ached in that initial flare but it did go away - now ten years later it never completely goes but isnt at that intense flare level.
Lynnwood, Co-Moderator: Lupus ForumSLE(’00), Sjogren's Syndrome, Raynaud's Syndrome, SAD, Depression, Herpes Simplex 1Piroxicam, Plaquenil, Prednisone(was 15mg, now 8mg), Cellcept, Xanax, Trazodone, Boniva(3mth shot), Wellbrutrin SR, ValtrexLinks: DIAGNOSING LUPUS (4 of 11), LUPUS INFORMATION, LUPUS RESOURCES, Donate to HealingWell, Drug Interactions