It has been a while since I have posted so you will have to excuse me if this topic has been recently discussed. I have been reading thru some of the postings, looking at the topics, reading the signatures and noticing all the "new" members. Many of us have "suffered" a multitude of similar "diagnosis", to eventually have them re-classified under the main diagnosis of Lupus. The following are some of my alternative therapies that I have discovered work very well, especially when all else fails, hope it helps:
1) Vitamin D levels - This is NUMBER ONE important!! I had my levels checked about 2 months ago and now take a high daily supplement. My quality of life has improved dramatically!! It was my idea, not my doctors, to have it checked. My muscles and bones don't ache near as much, energy is back up, everything feels "refreshed"! I am super light sensitive, allergic to dairy, and dark skinned so I get no Vit D from nature or diet.
2) Vicks Vapor Rub - When I am a little achey from hiking or overcast skies I put a little bit of Vick's vapor rub (or similar)on my joints/muscles. A little dab on my temples and back of the neck also work when I have a killer migraine. It is instant relief without the side effects of pain killers or OTC pills. My massage therapist is the one who turned me onto the joint relief. I new about the headache cure when I was pregnant and couldn't take anything. I have a jar at my coffee shop, in my purse, all over the house!!
3) Neosporin (or anything similar)- I have tubes all over the place!! This stuff is great for "owies" and lupus-type sores. Works 10x's better than those steroid creams that all they do is burn!! Clean and disinfected is my mantra for staying healthy!!
4) Hot bath once a week with a little bit of Eucalyptus essenstial oil and Tea Tree Oil - I soak about once a week in this concoction (add a little baby oil, veggie oil, etc as a "carrier" for the essential oil), it clears my sinuses and the Tea Tree oil disinfects all my "parts", like my feet, nail beds, privates, scalp, etc. and keeps me free from infection which is super important because that keeps "flares" down.
5) Probiotics (Pearls brand) - These used to work really well for me and I still take them, but I think my guts are a little inflammed so nothing is working really well except lots of licorice tea (which can be dangerous).
I hope these suggestions help some of you find a little relief from your discomfort. Sometimes modern medicine doesn't work, but that doesn't mean you are left without options and alternatives.
Be patient while being a patient, be openminded but not influenced, and stand by your convictions, it is still your body.
"There is a little naughty monkey in all of us!"
Mononucleosis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 1991, Depression,Endometriosis 1994,Costochondritis,Stage Two Dysplasia 1994,Asthma 1995,Tonsilitus 1999,Lupus Jan 2004,Migraines, Interstitial Cystitis 2005, GI Bleed/problems 2007.
Rx:Hydroxycloroquine (Plaquenil) 200mg 2x/day,Hydroxyzine HCL (Antihistamine) 25mg 1-2 pills at night,Albuterol Inhaler taken as needed, Acidophilus tablets 1billion CFU, Cabergoline 1x/wk, Valtrex 1gm/daily, Vit D 2,000 IU daily, Calcium/magnesium supplement