Home from the Mayo Clinic

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

whtedragons78
Regular Member


Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 74
   Posted 9/30/2006 11:50 PM (GMT -6)   
Well after a week at the Mayo in AZ, they figured out what has been making me sick and well I wasnt surprised or shocked when they said it was MS.   I took two separate sets of MRI films and with in about 30 mins they came back and said that the radiologist was wrong.  Instead of one lesion I had two since last yr.  We are still waiting on the LP results to come in but they said that everything else they ck'd for came back normal or neg for what they were testing for.  And said that it was MS.  So know we know.  They have me a script for some meds to help with the fatigue. 
 
Because they are over 2,000 miles away suggested I find a neuro i can trust closer to me for monitoring.  They did say that they didnt feel that "MS" meds at this point would help with and that the lesions are stable.  Im just concerned that if i dont get on meds to at least "slow" the progression down that I'll just get worse.  I will talk with the new neuro once my reg dr get it scheduled on my concern.  To me if i can take a med that will slow it down its worth it, than not taking a med and in 6 months a yr have twice as many lesions because i didnt take any meds.    Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Mother has MS, diagnosed 10 yrs ago.
Diagnosed with spastic colon in 2000.
Diagnosed with MS Sept 06.


Kimber
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 1852
   Posted 10/1/2006 1:14 AM (GMT -6)   
Welcome back! Sounds like you had a worthwhile trip, at least you found some answers and know for certain what you are dealing with. When you do find a neuro for monitoring, discuss starting the meds with them as well and hopefully they will. I am puzzled as to why they would want to wait especially since you have a dx now. Take care of yourself, and make sure to discuss your concerns with your new doc!

Kimber
 
Allow Healing Well to continue to help others, clink link for details

uppitycats
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 2135
   Posted 10/1/2006 5:08 AM (GMT -6)   

The Mayo clinic has done a study some time ago -- I tried to find it on line, but couldn't (probably because I'm not real skilled at that!)

that led them to the conclusion that they, as a matter of practice, won't prescribe one of the CRAB's early in the course of the disease, but rather wait until a larger exacerbation occurs, "justifying" the drug. They looked backwards at a number of patients with MS, those severely impaired, those with only mild impairments.  According to their study, some folks never got significantly worse, never had a large exacerbation, and the cost (physical and financial) of the drug might not have been warranted.

I'm of the belief that the earlier one starts the drugs the better. Why risk a large exacerbation that may leave you with significant disability?  Sure..there's a chance that you won't have such a flare...but is it worth the risk?  Not for me, it isn't.

Note, though, that none of the meds promises to stop ALL exacerbations, or stop ALL progression. It could well be that even if you do start on one of the drugs immediately, you could still, 6 months from now, have new lesions, or have suffered an exacerbation.  All that they're promising is to *reduce* the number of flares.  The Mayo clinic doesn't support that promise.

Indeed, talk this over with your new neuro, but in the end, it really should be you who makes the choice. Good luck!

 


...I am not a doctor, nor health professional, and don't pretend to be one, here.....


whtedragons78
Regular Member


Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 74
   Posted 10/1/2006 9:14 AM (GMT -6)   
My gut feeling is to start meds as soon as i get a new neuro. I too feel that why wait until another lesion appears. Haven't we all been told early detection is the key in most diseases anyhow. Im also think they might not want to start me is because im 2,000 miles away and they wouldnt be able to monitor or change the meds as easily. Of course that part is just speculation on my part. lol But I am deffinately going to be talking to the new neuro about meds. Thanks for ya'lls input i appreciate it ver much.
Mother has MS, diagnosed 10 yrs ago.
Diagnosed with spastic colon in 2000.
Diagnosed with MS Sept 06.


uppitycats
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 2135
   Posted 10/1/2006 9:48 AM (GMT -6)   
whtedragons78 said...
My gut feeling is to start meds as soon as i get a new neuro. I too feel that why wait until another lesion appears. Haven't we all been told early detection is the key in most diseases anyhow. Im also think they might not want to start me is because im 2,000 miles away and they wouldnt be able to monitor or change the meds as easily. Of course that part is just speculation on my part. lol But I am deffinately going to be talking to the new neuro about meds. Thanks for ya'lls input i appreciate it ver much.

Any neuro can monitor or change the meds. For that matter, it's my regular family practioner who monitors me, and who I would go to, to change meds, if I thought (or she thought) it necessary.
 
Good luck with your new doc!
...I am not a doctor, nor health professional, and don't pretend to be one, here.....

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, August 21, 2017 4:29 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,858,095 posts in 313,681 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 155192 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, fatema mernissi.
267 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
wwwvvvvvvv11, RedLabel, rthyrtcbgfbgf02, godfred, halbert, SFSFR


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2017 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer