Thanks for the info...Pegleg did you have a positive LP?? So again, I have 5 lesions and 4 o-bands in my LP. My Visual EP was normal. Isnt the positive LP with lesions kind of confirming?? But he still said most probably but wants second opinion. The MS clinic called me and my appt is Nov 21st. So its not far away and thats good...Next week I have an appt for my torn ligaments...Must deal with that too.... My plan is to see the specialist and get their recommendation and maybe a confirmed diagnosis... And then eithert start treatment based on what she says or wait until Jan for second MRI. At this point, its just confusing.
Does the DOCTOR want a second opinion, or is he sensing your doubt and confusion, and suggesting that if you don't believe him, your choices are to go to an MS clinic and get a second opinion? Generally with a positive LP, and lesions apparent on an MRI, combined with clinical symptoms (stuff the doctor can see and test for in his office), it's a pretty clear view --that you have MS. He's saying "probable" because doctors like to watch and wait for a second flare or exacerbation to occur before finally committing,
but it appears that he's committed to it, if he's suggesting you start on meds.
If I were in your situation, I'd probably not wait for another MRI in January, but start one of the medications right now, early, before indeed you get another, perhaps more debilitating exacerbation, or flare.
As for the torn ligaments -- as you've discovered, having MS doesn't mean that you can not also have other things wrong. It does indeed make it confusing, as you'll need to sort out what symptoms come with the torn ligaments, and what is attributed to the MS.
It's good that your second appointment is soon. I'm convinced that the sooner one starts on the meds, the better the chances of slowing down the disease early.
I am with the others on this issue. Back in June,I recieved the "probable" Dx. I didn't know whatto do...then. I wanted someone to look me straightin the eye and tell me I had MS, before I started down the road.
I had more MRI's, more blood tests, more of eveything.
As a result, in September....I was told by not onebut two Neuro's that I had MS and I should have beenon a MS Medicine criteria since June. Then they showedme the new spots on my brain with the others they foundin June. What I didn't do cost me.
Do not make this mistake. Start on meds now. If for somereason down the line they are convienced it is not MS, youhave wasted some money and little else. If you do indeed haveMS you have bought some invaluable time.