Surgery Scheduled for Monday

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

oilenz
New Member


Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 3
   Posted 1/17/2008 1:55 AM (GMT -6)   
Hello I am new to this. My wife has a colectomy scheduled for monday Jan 21 for colonic inertia. This is a voluntary surgery. According to our docter this surgery is one of the greatest procedures ever. Is there anyone out there who can educate us on the real long term side effects of this surgery? Do most people get back to normal over time? Is there a high level of regret with this surgery? If you could turn back time would you rather be stuck with stool softeners and laxatives than have the surgery and the side effects. We are not having a total colectomy. The doctor is looking to remove about 80 to 85 % of her colon. He will be leaving the 15% that is attached to her rectum and attaching the remaining 15% of the colon to the intestines. Has anyone had a similar surgery and if so are you satisfied with your results and side effects. Are your problems corrected or are there other more intense issues that have come from this surgery. I have not read many great experiences on this forum it seems that all I read are painful complications and side effects. Can someone please give us some real answers. We just want to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak. Thank You.

praying4healing
Veteran Member


Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 739
   Posted 1/17/2008 12:09 PM (GMT -6)   
i haven't had the surgery but someone will come along who will offer advice. I just wanted to wish you and your wife well with her surgery and i pray it brings you guys relief :)
25 y/o female- crohns disease since 14
Ileostomy pending-very worried
Tried asacol,pentasa,prednisone,remicade,6mp,azasan, no avail
Seatons placed
Worst year ever!

"For God has not given us the spirit of fear....."
Where does mine come from?!


summerstorm
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 6571
   Posted 1/17/2008 10:09 PM (GMT -6)   
i didnt have that problem exaclty, or have the exact same surgery, but i did have UC and now have a perm ileo, Are there regrets? Only that i didnt' do it years before i finally did! i wasted so much time. Is life back to normal? Actually it's back to the way I was before i got sick so very long ago, eating whatever, going whereever, doing whatever.
I havne't talked to anyone who said they regreted their surgery. It's not a fun thing to do, it does hurt, but just keep in mind that the surgery pain is only temporay, whereas the pain from the disease is never ending!
i wish ya'll luck!

resa
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 141
   Posted 1/20/2008 8:18 AM (GMT -6)   
Oilenz,

I had a total colectomy for CI on March 12, 2007 and I do not regret having the surgery. I had my surgery done lap. Is your wife having her surgery lap or open. At first I was having a BM about 10 to 20 times a day. Now it is down to 5 to 10, depending on what I eat or drink.

If you go to total colectomy and read part 1 through part 18 you will find a lot of tremendeous information. You can read everyones story. The people there are very helpful.

I wish your wife a speedy recovery from her surgery tomorrow.

flchurchlady
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 2765
   Posted 1/20/2008 7:22 PM (GMT -6)   
Oilenz,
I had a really bad case of Crohn's Disease and ended up having a proctocolectomy, which is where they remove the entire colon and rectum. I have a permanent ileostomy and haven't had any health problems since my surgery, so I definitely don't regret having it done.
 
I hope that your wife's surgery is a success and that it takes care of her colonic inertia. Please keep us posted on how she's doing after surgery. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
Cecilia
 
Dx'd Crohn's in '99 at 28. Proctocolectomy & ileostomy in '06.
Pain-free, med-free, and very thankful to be healthy again :)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:27 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,883,115 posts in 316,356 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 157488 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, 4wheelinmama.
388 Guest(s), 13 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
John_TX, aphysicalwreck, 81GyGuy, Kent M., NiceCupOfTea, gumby44, lovefishing, enginerd, ChickenArise, Supportive Daughter, straydog, JkorourkeRN for husband, iPoop


Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook  Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter  Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
Advertisement
Advertisement

©1996-2017 HealingWell.com LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer