Here is some information that I found online that may answer some of the questions about using Eakin Seals. Hope this helps.
Check out the area below that is highlighted in purple.
Tips on using Eakin Cohesive Seals
Eakin Cohesive Seals will extend pouch weartime by preventing leakage, and will also prevent or cure skin irritations surrounding the stoma. However, to get the best performance from Eakin Cohesive Seals, please carefully follow the instructions for use, which you will receive with the products.
The following tips should also help you to get the most out of the products:
1. Always warm the Eakin Cohesive Seals to body temperature before moulding them to the shape and size required. If you do not warm the Seal it may appear to "crumble" and will be more difficult to mould.
2. Do not be afraid to handle the Eakin Cohesive Seal when moulding it to fit your body - handling the products do not make them less sticky, in fact handling the Seal will help to warm the product and will make it much easier to fit.
3. Eakin Cohesive Seals can be broken and rejoined. Small pieces of Eakin Cohesive Seals may be broken off to build up areas around the stoma where the skin may be irregular or where leakage is more likely to occur.
4. To ensure that the Cohesive sticks well to the skin surrounding the stoma, ensure that the skin is as clean and dry as possible. NO OTHER SKIN CREAMS, PREPARATIONS or STOMA PASTES SHOULD BE USED as this may affect the adhesion of the Seal. Only Eakin Cohesive Paste should be used in conjunction with Cohesive Seals.
5. If the skin surrounding the stoma is very irregular or needs extra protection, more than one Eakin Cohesive Seal can be used by sticking the two Seals together.
Why do Eakin Cohesive Seals appear to melt?
When Eakin Cohesive Seals are in use, they absorb moisture from the skin and the stoma forming a smooth gel. This gel has a carbohydrate content, which is broken down by the digestive enzymes present in the body waste. This is designed to happen so that the patient's skin underneath is protected.
This process can sometimes be accelerated by changes in the patient's environment such as emotional problems, stress, or diet changes - all of which can have an effect on the consistency of stomal output. The result will then be that the Eakin Cohesive Seals will dissolve more quickly and the pouch may need to be changed more frequently.
Users should also note that the Eakin Cohesive Seals will not last as long if the stoma opening of their ostomy pouch is too large. When fitting the pouch, first place the seal around the stoma, ensuring there is continuous contact between the stoma and the Seal, then fit the pouch. It is important to select a pouch size, which will fit neatly around the stoma.
Why are the Eakin Cohesive Seals not sticking well?
Occasionally, users complain that Eakin Cohesive Seals are not sticking well, however in all of the cases quoted to date and due to the high level of product inspection prior to leaving our factory, there has been no fault in the products.
Below are some of the reasons why Eakin Cohesive Seals may not be sticking and ways to overcome the problem.
1. The skin must be dry - although Eakin Cohesive Seals absorb moisture, when fitting the Seals initially, the skin should be as dry as possible.
2. The skin must be clean and free from any other skin preparations - other skin barriers, creams or stoma pastes (except Eakin Cohesive Paste), may affect the adhesion of Eakin Cohesive Seals. Cohesive Paste, however, is complementary to Cohesive Seals.
3. The temperature is too cold - Eakin Cohesive Seals will stick much better if they are first warmed to body temperature. Simply by holding the Seals or by moulding them in your hand, they will warm sufficiently and will adhere more easily.
To ensure the maximum adhesion, first warm the Eakin Cohesive Seals, then mould them to the correct shape and size before fitting in place around the stoma. Once in position, hold the Seal firmly in place for 20 to 30 seconds until any moisture in the skin or stoma has been absorbed.
Why are there colour variations between different batches of Eakin Cohesive Seals?
As Eakin Cohesive Seals contain some natural ingredients, there can be colour variations from one batch to another. It is also a characteristic of Eakin Cohesive that it will become slightly darker in colour and less granular in appearance over time.
These are all normal features of the product and do not in any way affect the products' performance.
Eakin Cohesive does not deteriorate over time, and so Seals can be used even several years after they are manufactured.
Despite these changes in appearance, the same ingredients and manufacturing processes have been used for over twenty years. During this time, our Manufacturing and Quality Control Procedures have become even more strict and thorough, ensuring the highest quality products at all times.