First and foremost - good luck with your surgery. When you say check-in, is that just for labwork, x-ray, EKG, etc., or do you mean admitted to a room and all? I'm the same as Summerstorm; my hospital was 95 miles/2.5 hours away from home, but I just showed up the day of surgery. I had to do a 72-hour clean out - started on Friday for surgery on Monday, but I'm sure that was just because my system is so slow. Now if it was my son that has Crohn's, a one-day prep would be fine for him. :o)
Thank you all for the kind words and the well wishes. I live about 130 miles from the hospital so I guess that is why they are checking me in that early, I just figure they won't start the clean out till later so was confused why I needed to be there at 10:00 a.m. Just seems like I will have a lot of time sitting in a hospital thinking about it all.
I can't wait to stop taking all these meds. The surgeon and GI want me to keep taking them till Monday I guess, just to make sure that even with my flaring that it doesn't get any worse. Actually this week has been mild so far (that is no help with this thinking it over and over thing) My biggest fear was that I would have this week as a week without any symptoms which would have driven me crazy second guessing my decision.
I will keep updating on here, I take my laptop with me everywhere I go and I should be able to leach internet off of the hospital. Yeah, I know I am such a computer geek. Not sure how much posting I will be able to do Tuesday or Wednesday but by Friday if all is well I should be able to drop a quick note.
Suebear, I see you have the j-pouch, if you want to give me some pros and cons about it I would appreciate it. I am not sure I want to go that route, I am worried that I will face the same problems I have now (urgency, incontinence and such). Most of the employment I get into tends not to have exclusive access to facilities immediately so those two symptoms would possibly cause problems. Just some research I will be doing in the next three months or so to make the next decision.
Just a quick update. Surgery went fine. Went in Tuesday at 12:20 got out at 5:45 p.m. I was in a lot of pain in recovery but they got me regulated with the pain pump and now I am unhooked from everything. Recovery is going good and may get to go home by tomorrow but probably sometime this weekend. I feel so much better, I didn't realize that a colon can cause such a problem. I will update more later, learning all kinds of new stuff with this little, sometimes vocal, guy
Total Colectomy with End Ileostomy May 27th, 2008
ediekristen, I really enjoyed changing that signature. Knowing all that BS I went through with those meds made deleting all of that enjoyable. It is not completely accurate though because I am still on the prednisone but will taper down to nothing now. Also I am on pain meds but that too will be brought down to nothing. I have been following your quandary also and would like to say that I agree with others when they say you have to do what is best for you. I have one in-law that is not onboard with my decision and amazingly she is in the medical field. When I talked to her she pointed out the surgery was permanent and once your colon is gone you can't get it back. i pointed out that it was the same with a life. She failed to understand the deadly consequences that come with this disease. I went through some of the worst with this disease not long ago but I don't feel that should be a marker for deciding surgery. Waiting till something bad happens could have very bad outcomes to your situation. For the most part this disease causes a ton of inconvenience and that is what most people see. They assume that with a few adjustments to your diet, lifestyle or planning that you can deal with it. That is not the case. I tried, then the disease would ct into the time I would think was OK to go out. I would change my schedule again and the disease would change. You have to evaluate your situation for your lifestyle. You may be able to handle the changes now but later they become too much and your research now will help you with the decision. I am not sure what my decision will be with the "j-pouch" surgery but that seems to be very small now that I have taken care of the disease. I will keep researching the pros and cons and will come to a decision that will work for "my" life.
OHIO76, so far all I have come up with for a name is Leo but that will probably change. It does have a mind of it's own and I am finding it will talk when ever it wants to be heard.