Bratcat had her step 1 surgery at the beginning of the summer after school ended. She was up and about within the month but still weak and tired. She would have had a hard time getting back into the school routine at that time. Around 10 weeks she really began to feel more like her old self again. She goes for her reconnect surgery in 16 days. She plans to return to school after Thanksgiving.
Can you wait until school is out in the spring?
I would love to wait until the summer when my year at university ends, but im in a pretty constant flare at the moment so i think my GI is worried about me completely obstructing.I am in the process of talking to my tutor about leaving a week early if i hand in all my assignments then and then maybe having a week longer afterwards which would give me 5 weeks. You may be right about a hosp stay before surgery because of my blood levels.I had to stay in for four days over summer and have four lots of blood as my haemoglobin went down to 7, and they put me on iv steroids.
Can you explain to me how the procedure is done laproscopically(sp)?is this a better way to have the surgery?if it depends on pred use then ive pretty much been on and off pred for the past year and a half, and have been stuck on 40mg for the past month or so.
Another question after surgery do you see a specialist about your stoma every month or so?or do you just continue to see your GI about your progress?
Thanks for all your replys, it gives you more confidence when you get advice from the experienced
3-5 weeks probably isn't enough time...even if you PLAN on laproscopic surgery, ANYTHING can happen since the doc's don't know what will happen until they get in there. Unfortunately, pred use will be one of those factors...sometimes a three step is necessary because the body cannot hold staples to perform the pouch.
Can you take a semester off? Or, at least let your prof's know that you might be a few weeks late getting back and if they will let you work from home with someone's notes, etc... I myself took a semester off, and I am glad I did! I don't want to scare you, but everyone is different and you should definately take that into consideration when making your decision. Good Luck, I hope you find relief soon.