My XTandi arrived in the mail today. Nearly $8,000 for a month's supply and my insurance covers all buy $35 which to my mind is a miracle considering the drug is not FDA approved for my condition (pre-Chemo).
My doctor favored XTandi because I don't have to take prednisone with it and we also got the insurance approval. If I had not gotten the insurance, she would have prescribed Zytiga.
Since the two drugs act on different pathways, is this really a decision to leave up to a coin toss?
See my stats below to see how serious my condition is. So being experimental here is not really comforting. Does anyone know of any rules of thumb about how to make the choice between XTandi and Zytiga?
My understanding is that my casodex has been failing although I'm not totaly convinced. I'm going to be on a triple dose of casodex for the next few weeks and let my next psa count determine whether I should switch to XTandi or not.
Meanwhile, I can sit and look at the bottle, the most expensive medicine I've ever purchased in my life.
Diagnosed 9/14/2011; Age 47; PSA 5,000+
Metastatic Stage 4, spread to entire skeleton w/femur fracture
Current therapy: Lupron/Casodex/Aredia
June 4, 2012: PSA 2.2, doing well with little discomfort
June 27, 2012: PSA 1.42
July 24, 2012: PSA 0.69 !!!!!
September 25, 2012: PSA 1.2 (Oops)
October 11, 2012 PSA 1.4 (not good)
December 10, 2012 PSA 3.79 (mCRPC)